Connecting MB-6582 PCBs with JST XH

dwestbury

Has anyone tried to use JST XH connectors and cables to join their MB-6582 PCBs?

They look to be about half the height of standard DuPont connectors, so they should fit nicely inside a closed PT-10 case.

Curious about the overall durability and bend radius, etc.?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XNZV995/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_4uMCFb7TCFS47

Unknown.thumb.jpeg.c1156571e090614caadbb

113E2BB1-E727-47CB-A976-02AADD477819.jpe

5f729e201e61b_JSTXHConnectors.png.6ee1d6

Edited by dwestbury

I haven't tried it but would love to see if this may work! The cabling issue for me was what prevented me from properly finishing my MB6582 to the point I just started to design a rackmount control surface for it. I'd still like to finish that (and these days with laser cutters maybe I can without breaking the bank). I love my sammichSID but working on patches has proven to be really difficult with the software and would be just soooo much better with a proper control surface.

There was a modification that used right angle SIL headers that was interesting. Still very cramped but it worked, and allowed the panel to be separated from the base if needed.

Good luck, please do share what you find!

Hi Darrell

This looks like an interesting solution to the problem of linking the two boards.
But note that the cables need to be very short in order to reduce noise, the ones you linked to are 300mm, just under 12” to those of us still using imperial units and I’m fairly sure that they would be too long. The Amazon seller lists a similar set of cables that are 100mm that might be better but from what I remember from the original build discussion that may still be a bit “iffy”. Need to find the reference in the original thread, a quick effort to search didn’t locate what I was looking for, I’ll try and find time over the next couple of days to do a more thorough search.

Best

John

Amazon is amazing. I received some samples in the mail today, within 24hrs of placing my order and with free shipping.

More importantly, I can confirm that even at the 300mm cable length, there's no discernible evidence of noise or instability in the communications between the control surface and the base PCB, over a >2hr period of testing.

IMG_1795.thumb.jpeg.7f4ab17ab90327061336

I did wind up having to tie-wrap the cables to get the "spaghetti mess" under control and properly tucking them into the PT-10 case was a little bit clumsy.

Unknown-3.jpeg.fb6d21dd1a5268f08b15fa8be

Unknown.jpeg.61f5151562f9214b8110623d46f

Unknown-1.jpeg.f6d429eb0f72e5cee2cbbb2a2

Unknown-2.jpeg.09acdbab8842535c150320d85

I'm thinking @JohnnieBee may be right and 100mm cables will be a bit easier to manage... 

8 Pin JST XH Cables @ 100mm

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XKRZD7Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Pin JST XH Cables @ 100mm

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XNTQK5M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll report back after some additional testing...

Cheers all,

-Darrell

Edited by dwestbury

• 2 weeks later...

Just as I expected, the 100mm JST XH cables are a much nicer fit (and look), but what's most important is they leave enough room for the case to close properly.

Now I feel comfortable recommending this solution to anyone that's looking for quick removal access to service their control surface.

Unknown-2.jpeg.f6df80a5021a72d87e29cc6ed

Unknown-1.jpeg.66f4c5d2c76fecf66caeba6d7

Unknown.thumb.jpeg.33e8f1f3bd7323127599b87c0e5afeaa.jpeg

Edited by dwestbury

My goodness that looks fantastic and no having to hand solder or crimp any cables! Looks great!

I was so excited I broke out my MB6852 which has been sitting on my closet all sad and alone for years. It will still take some work before it's ready to go beyond the connectors. I'm a bit worried the board may have some bad pads if I recall. However I think it's worth a shot.

It looks like from the photos you use regular straight and right angle SIL connectors? I noticed the linked JSTs appear to include the straight connectors but I couldn't find right angled ones. Any suggestion on options there?

Edited by m00dawg
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 7:03 PM, m00dawg said:

It looks like from the photos you use regular straight and right angle SIL connectors? I noticed the linked JSTs appear to include the straight connectors but I couldn't find right angled ones. Any suggestion on options there?

I ordered the angled JST XH connectors from AliExpress, but they haven't shown up in the mail yet (usually takes about 5-6 weeks to make their way into the US from Asia).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000029760504.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.349a4c4dKTIGpV

So, for now I'm using standard angled SIL headers, which seem to do the trick. The mount is flush and the connections are solid.

Edited by dwestbury

• 1 month later...

Quick update on this, the method worked wonderfully! I've got my MB6582 up and running using this method. The only thing I had to do we Dremmel the backside of the top half a bit (in the front) as my right angled connections were a bit too tall (the JSTs are on the baseboard and I'm using the JST cables though couldn't find the right angled JSTs outside of AliExpress and figured that would be a long wait). Apart from that, it's working beautifully!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks Darrell! I received the cable assemblies and looks like I have the version with both headers being straight, not half as right-angle.  I'll have to check clearances but maybe I can gently bend the pins to fix that.  Otherwise I'm shelving the build for now as there seems to be part shortages and I have to wait.