MB6582 Fan

oliq

If you're using 8580 or 6582 SIDs: heatsinks and maybe some passive ventilation holes in the case bottom will be sufficient - using this setup since 10 years now without any problems! :). If you are using 6581 SIDs, that's a different story though, as they run hotter.

post-7895-007007500%201283479404.jpg

Many greets and have fun with your MB6582! :)
Best regards,
Peter

• 1 month later...

Heya Hawkeye where'd you get those heatsinks?

Back to the fans, I use Noctua 40mm in my Deepmind since the stock fans were loud. Prusa 3D printers also use Noctua 40x10's (though I replace those with more powerful fans). At any rate, thought I haven't tested it, my plan is to try out a a 5V Noctua for my MB6582.

5 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

@m00dawg hi, hope you're fine in this mad world! :)

Got them off Reichelt, simple low-profile DIP 28 sinks i think - 10 years ago, my memory is not the best ;-).

Many greets!
Peter

As fine as one can expect in 2020 :P But hey for all the crap 2020 was it at least got me back to working on my MB6582! Although by "working on it again" it's mostly populating new boards :P The new JST connectors are a game changer! So here's hoping I can finally have a functional 6582 after t....err some amount of years ;)

Ah...hmm...I was asking as I tried to find some on Mouser (US) but wasn't able to find ones that look like they would fit. I am using the slide on ones at the moment but was thinking something more low profile and with less mechanical concerns might be better.

• Like 1

Update, I'm rocking the Noctua (NF-A4x10, 5V) and am running it off the 5V header. At full speed it is a tad loud but does seem to keep the SIDs rather cool. I do have heatsinks on them but the heatsinks without the fan get warm (not hot) to the touch after some time of running. As expected the ones furthest from the fan are warmer than the ones next to it. All of them seem to be cooler to the touch though. So far it doesn't seem to make a huge impact to the 5V rail. I'm using the 5V switcher often recommend, although I am using it in an external power supply I made and am supplying the 6582 with 9 and 5V directly. So I can't speak to other power configurations. I also haven't checked to see if it has an impact on noise. Really I just got the dern thing assembled and in fact one thing that may change the temps is I lost the case screws so the top isn't fully attached.

In any case, if you need a pretty stout fan the Noctua seems like a good choice.