Suggestions on LCDs with various color options (CrystalFontz seems to have a smaller selection now)

m00dawg

Since I'm working on my MB6582 again (and by working I mean mostly building a new one since I've lifted several pads off my old baseboard trying to get the control surface wiring working), I was thinking of updating the LCD. I have one with an amber/orange background on dark letting now. I know for a while there the inverted LCDs were something CrystalFontz sold, but I only see a few color combinations. Adafruit sells a 20x4 display that's RGB but I'm not sure how I could use it with the MB6582?

Curious what folks are doing these days with their LCDs? At this point I'll just be happy to have a working MB6582 haha so aesthetics are maybe not quite as important but still thought I'd ask around.

If you need a standard LCD color, like green or blue, I’d suggest sourcing from AliExpress, because you can get a few of them for ~$3 USD each.

If you need a unique color like Orange/Amber, I’d suggest getting the Adafruit RGB display and connecting your 5v power source to each of the RGB inputs through a set of 3 * 10K pots, which you can adjust individually to achieve the exact color desired.

Yeah your price list (thank you again by the way!) had an Adafruit RGB LCD on there as I recall. I wasn't sure where I might want to place the pots. If I want one of the standard 6 or so colors, I could use just resistors (though I think an amber would require a mix). Their inverted 20x4 definitely looks nice!

These RGB char displays use 18 pins instead of the standard 16, which means there's separate power input for Red, Green and Blue.

338918268_ScreenShot2020-12-10at1_37_05PM.thumb.png.1c8e80c1f7443e7f0690167fb18d6669.png

I posted a pic in the gallery of the approach I took with one of my MB-6582's.

Basically I was able to use a single pot on a tiny piece of protoboard to send variable power into Green pin.

I sent the full 5v source into the Red pin, then used the pot to mix in a bit of Green and voila, a nice Amber color that nicely matched my LEDs ;-) 

Edited by dwestbury