rotary encoders and sequencer?

monokinetic

hi thorsten, I just noticed today that the mb64 firmware is split into sequencer and controller...

And I was wondering would it be possible to configure the software to use the full sequencer facilities (they sound great!!) but rather than build a 64 pot box just use rotary encoders and a switch to "jump" the encoders between the various sequencer channels??

Just wondering ;-)

regards

Dave mK

Hi Dave,

a great idea! Since three layers are assigned to each pot-row, encoders would improve the handling. I think that 16 encoders are enough, and of course, I could use the MIDIbox16E firmware as skeleton for a MIDIbox16E-SEQ ;-)

On the other hand I don't want to spent too much effort on the old firmwares anymore - just wait for MIDIbox NG, it will support both: pots and encoders. And with the plugin capability it will be possible just to "load" a sequencer module into the PIC when required.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Glad you liked the idea, I think it will work really well.

What would be important is how well the lcd can display the variables the encoders will be changing because there is obviously no feedback from the physical knob position.

Anyone using the current MBH64 with an lcd care to comment?

Regards

Dave

ps Thorsten do you manage to find time to do all this incredible development and hold down a "regular job"?  ;D

looking forward to MB NG.... where can I find some more details?

Hi Dave,

What would be important is how well the lcd can display the variables the encoders will be changing because there is obviously no feedback from the physical knob position.

This is really a critical issue. Currently only two screens are visible (if you are not in the menu). One main screen if no pot is moved:

mb64seq_p1.jpg

which shows the selected layer, bank, sequencer position of the current track,  a track overview (selected/muted) and in the second line an overview about the muted pot columns

The second screen will be activated when a pot is moved:

mb64seq_p2.jpg

the values depend on the MIDI event type (here: Note event), Track Mode, etc.

I think that for an encoder solution a larger display is mandatory, which should show at least the status of 8 encoders - here for Layer A (assigned to Note Number), B (assigned to velocity) and C (assigned to Gate Length) of Track 1:

mb64seq_40x2_p1.jpg

mb64seq_40x2_p2.jpg

mb64seq_40x2_p3.jpg

Maybe it makes also sense to show the note and velocity (as moving bar) at once... however, I've planned a "Display Plug In" feature for MIDIbox NG which would allow everybody to design his own screen layout (your private MIDIbox skin... ;-))

ps Thorsten do you manage to find time to do all this incredible development and hold down a "regular job"?  ;D

I develop on my ultimate MIDIbox since four years and fortunately find enough time for my job, leisures and other pleasures ;-)

looking forward to MB NG.... where can I find some more details?

Here: :-)

http://www.midibox.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=news;action=display;num=1034254654

Best Regards, Thorsten.