SSL based DAW Controller

Meadow

Ok, I know this project seems a little too much and it’s probably near impossible of not impossible to do, but I want to try it anyway…

I want to build myself a DAW controller based on the design and layout of the SSL Origin console.

I don’t need such a big controller and its in no way logical to build one and put this much time in this project, but I just love the idea of having a nearly two meters wide mixing console as the centerpiece of my studio.

The plan I created in the last month:

The controller should consist of 32 channels with one motorfader and 38 buttons/ potis each.

On top of that is a mastering section with 8 additional Return/Send/Bus faders, wich will be normal 60mm faders and some basic daw control buttons like play/stop/record.

The channel strip consists of the SSL E series eq and 8 additional potis controlling the different Bus channels.

On the DAW side I want to build a template with all plutins loaded and with the right mapping, so that I can start working on the console immediately.

Now to the hardware:

Adding all channels and the mastering section there will be a total of 1246 buttons, faders, or potis and 32 motorized faders.

I’m still quite new to this whole universe, so hopefully somebody could look over my thoughts and correct my if I’m (most likely) wrong.

I need to read 1246 buttons/faders/potis.

I chose the CORE_STM32F4 as my core and want to expand the inputs using the AINSER64 Module.
I read there is a way to connect more than two AINSER 64 to a STM32F4, but I didn’t quite understand how this would work.

I found a forum post writing about three AINSER 8 connected to a core. Is there the possibility to connect even more?
If I think of two AINSER 64 per core, this would mean I can read 128 buttons, etc with one core.
So I would need 10 cores for the not motorized knobs etc alone.
Is this possible? Can I connect 10 cores all via usb to my pc and program them to one big controller?

On top of that I would use the MF module for the motorfaders. Using 32 motorfaders I would need four Mf modules.
Since I think there is the possibility to cascade multiple MF modules there would only be one USB running to the pc, right?

I have many more things planned and a truckload more of questions, but I will just leave this here as it is and get to the other questions at a later time.

I know this is a HUGE project - especially for a newbie and I don’t want to confront anyone, or come across as arrogant.
I simply cannot get this out of my head and usually the best way to get it out is eventually just starting the project.

This will surely take a long while to be build and programmed and I already have some friends and family helping me with designing, soldering and programming.

I’m really looking forward to this project and cannot wait to show my process here.

Sincerely

Frederik

Hi,

1 hour ago, Meadow said:

The channel strip consists of the SSL E series eq and 8 additional potis controlling the different Bus channels.

It will be difficult to replace the rotating pots of the EQ and Busses sections. There's some motorised pots but the cost will be hudge, and they are very big. Another way is to replace them by VCA or something else like digital pots, but it depends on the mixer circuits, anyway it will be very expensive, and VCA will need AOUT to be controlled.

1 hour ago, Meadow said:

I found a forum post writing about three AINSER 8 connected to a core. Is there the possibility to connect even more?
If I think of two AINSER 64 per core, this would mean I can read 128 buttons, etc with one core.
So I would need 10 cores for the not motorized knobs etc alone.
Is this possible? Can I connect 10 cores all via usb to my pc and program them to one big controller?

You can use DIN modules for switches and DOUT for LEDs, you can also use matricing too, to save some money and limit the size of your project.
You don't need so much AIN modules and Cores.
Keep the AIN modules for the faders... And for the pots if you decide to use VCA(or other) to automate your EQ and Busses sections.

Best regards
Bruno

Thanks for your reply!
I thought of choosing normal analog potis for the EQ and the bus section. I know they will not change their position, if I work on another project. But I think that's fine by me.
I mean analog mixing consoles worked like this for years. But, if we say I work on project A and change the positions of the potis, then work on project B, the plugins should not change any values as long as I don't touch any potis, right?

For now I thought of not using any LEDs for the sake of simplicity.
So there just would be 'normal' faders, potis and buttons to operate and 32 motorfaders.

So you would recommend to use din modules for the buttons and AINSER 64 modules for the (non?)motorfaders, right?
And the potis? Should they also be connected to AINSER modules?

13 hours ago, Meadow said:

I thought of choosing normal analog potis for the EQ and the bus section. I know they will not change their position, if I work on another project. But I think that's fine by me.
I mean analog mixing consoles worked like this for years. But, if we say I work on project A and change the positions of the potis, then work on project B, the plugins should not change any values as long as I don't touch any potis, right?

No problem I thought your SSL channel strip was an hardware one, but it's a plug-in, no need of any VCA here ;)
So you can use pots or encoders. Pots need AIN modules, Encoders need DIN modules. About pots changes, there's some mode you can choose Direct/Snap/Relative/Parallax they are explained somewhere here: http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_ng_manual.html

13 hours ago, Meadow said:

So you would recommend to use din modules for the buttons and AINSER 64 modules for the (non?)motorfaders, right?
And the potis? Should they also be connected to AINSER modules?

DIN module for switches and encoders.
DOUT for leds if required.
AIN module for faders and pots.

Ok, I think I will work with pots, because I want to see the settings and position of the Plugin on the channel strip and don't want to look at the screen to see, which direction the pot is looking at.
That would mean, I only need AIN modules, MF modules and cores, right?
Do you know, if there is a maximum cascading option for the AIN modules connected to one core?