3D printed case for sammichFM

BEBDigitalAudio

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away... :whistling:

I bought a sammichFM kit without the case (the reason was I did not like how the laser cut box was looking). I installed my machine in a Teko box, making it even uglier :blush: The poor machine was forgotten a few years in a cupboard, and thanks to the lockdown in France, I found it a few weeks ago, covered in dust.

As the original case made by Wilba has disappeared from the Web a long, long time ago, I decided to make a 3D printed case for the machine. As you can see, result is not bad (and much better than this awful Teko enclosure)...

The files have been created with FreeCAD, I put the STL files here if someone wants to use them.

I found some possible enhancements (like having holes to reach the trimmer for contrast and backlight level), but I did not want to print the box a second time (more than 7 hours to print both parts).

The source file in FreeCAD format are available, just ask me if you want them.

IMG_0904_small.JPG

IMG_0915_small.JPG

SammichFM Bot.stl SammichFM Top.stl

• Thanks 1

Here's a tip for anyone who wants an easy way of having raised lettering on their 3D prints with a different colour to the case itself.

Print the case with lettering with the same colour filament you want the raised lettering to have.

Paint or (spray paint is probably best) the entire case in the colour you want the case to be.

Then simply sand the lettering with sand paper and the original filament colour will come through.

I saw this method posted in a facebook Flight Sim group where a user 3D printed his own Boeing 737 panels:

No photo description available.

Edited by Smithy
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/31/2021 at 1:35 AM, Smithy said:

Here's a tip for anyone who wants an easy way of having raised lettering on their 3D prints with a different colour to the case itself.

Print the case with lettering with the same colour filament you want the raised lettering to have.

Wow, that's really a great idea ! Never thought of having the text like this.

By the way, if you use this method, I have a question : what software do you use to produce the text to be printed in 3D ?

I am using Freecad, but I never found a good way to generate 3D printing of text from it

Benoit

• 3 weeks later...

Tinkering with this idea of adding raised text, and using Blender with some initial success.  Haven't tried to turn it back into an STL yet.  Anyone have a nice clean SVG copy of the sammichFM logo?

Also, yeah, the original FreeCAD files would probably work better than trying to start with an STL, if you still have them around.

Edited by emerson

21 hours ago, emerson said:

Tinkering with this idea of adding raised text, and using Blender with some initial success.

Oh this just isn't going to work -- having the raised lettering means you can't print lying on the front face, which means you need supports *everywhere* for the sides.  I've attached my first-stab STL (not in love with where some of the text landed, meh), but I think this idea might be a non-starter, at least with my printer.

fm box with text.stl

Edited by emerson