MBNG Newbie trouble!

videoman199

Hi everyone!

This is my first post and my first MB project, so I will begin with introducing myself and my project then I will get into my probably simple questions. I was looking for a control surface to use in my home studio that would work with Pro Tools and found that the Avid S3 sells for about $5,000 (USD)! After I stopped laughing/crying, (like always) I looked into DIY options. First I thought of the Arduino solution, but I am awful with programming (no patience for it). I then found midibox and it seemed like the perfect fit! I am experienced with soldering and electronics (from back in the analog days), so I ordered components (Mouser) and PCBs (Modular Addict) and constructed the enclosure.

So, long story even longer, here is my goals for the control surface (very simple and basic):

• 9 channels (probably will expand in the future)
  • Each channel will have:
    • 1 fader (non-motorized for now)
    • 3 buttons (select, record, solo)
    • 3 LEDs (one for each button to indicate toggle state)
    • 1 rotary encoder (not sure for what yet)
  • VU meter for each channel via OLED modules
  • 2 LCD displays (2x40)

Keeping very simple for my first build, but I am sure that once this is done, I am going to find quite a few more functions that I want to add.

Here is the hardware that I am using:

• 1-STM32F4 core
  • 1-AINSER64
  • 2-DINx4
  • 1-DOUTx4

It is also based on the MBNG project by TK.

So, now that that is out of the way, I have been having some trouble that I am sure it is just me making things harder than they are. I uploaded the MBNG files to the core. I have studied the user manual and wiki very intensively for the past few weeks, but I am not having any luck with any function that I try to program! I started with the "First Steps" section of the user manual (skipped the LCD "hello world" because I don't have my LCDs yet). I put in the code exactly as it is stated, but my button on D0 doesn't send any MIDI message (according to MIOS Studio). Here is the code that I put into "Hello.ngc":

RESET_HW

LCD "%CHello World!"

EVENT_BUTTON id=1  type=NoteOn key=36

I have also tried to get the LED on the DOUT pin D7 to come on when the button next to it is pushed with this:

EVENT_BUTTON id=1  fwd_id=LED:1  type=NoteOn key=36 range=0:127  button_mode=Toggle

Once again no light and no MIDI event in MIOS Studio.

I know that I am probably missing something very basic and I apologize if this question has already been answered a million times, but every thing that I found so far on the forum or wiki has not seemed to make any difference.

Also wanted to add that since I am new to forums in general (I'm an old timer), I am sure that I am missing some pertinent information that you guys need to see what is going on, so please let me know and I will do my best to help you help me!

Thank you for all your help!

videoman199

Hello

Obviously you have access to the core and NG files, so the first step seem fine.

What say the debug mode ?

edit: I just read again your post... you say your .NGC is called "Hello"

without specific "load" command (you'll see later) MBNG at start-up ONLY load config files called DEFAULT.NGC and DEFAULT.NGR

just rename your .NGC

Best

Zam

Edited by Zam

Thanks for the reply, Zam! I tried renaming the .ngc like you suggested, but no luck. Sorry for my ignorance, but how do I get to debug mode? I tried typing "set debug mode on" and it seemed to work, but without a LCD, where do I see it? Once again, I am very new to programming so I'm sorry for asking such basic questions! I really appreciate the help!

• 4 weeks later...