grounding

Guest massi

Thanks to Synapsys for the link to the excellent article on audio grounding.

One thing that was probably confusing in my post is that if the shield is to be connected at only one end, and yes that is a legitimate arrangement for some situations despite any impression of the article to the contrary, the cable should connect the shield at both ends. It is the equipment that should connect or not connect the ground as appropriate. This link shows how MIDI cabling is supposed to be handled http://www.midi.org/about-midi/electrical.shtml which is that MIDI In connectors should not connect pin 2 which is the pin that the shield is connected to. The cable should connect the shield at both ends so that it won't matter if the cable is turned around.

There are two major concerns about shields. One is making them effective as shields so they reduce rather than cause noise in low level signals. The other is safety. You don't want dangerous potentials to appear on exposed metal parts under any possible malfunction. Not bringing mains power inside your chassis is a good start on the safety aspect.

You are correct that the shielding on the microphone has to be connected through the cable to ground in the mixer. If the mixer is a commercial item it should be arranged so it is not possible to have a dangerous potential appear on the shield.

hi

audio grounding is going a little bit out of my knowlage so i cannot comment on previous posts. :P

i will post another thread, people will post pictures and questions about their mains grounding concerns (many people use internal PSU as i recall) for other people to "inspect" or give advice. be safe people .