Tracker for SID

imaginarion

Hello!

If there is an ACID player that reproduces seed music using the midi protocol, then probably there should be a tracker that allows you to make such music using the midi protocol? Does anyone know such? I only found DefleMask, inside which you can make a composition for the Commodore and then run it on chips, but this is a bit different.

You can certainly use Renoise to interact with MidiBox gear, I've done some of that. It's not quite the same as using, say, GoatTracker or dedicated SID trackers, but it does work and does allow you to do some effects like you would using a dedicated SID tracker. MidiBox SID treats the SIDs differently than a typical tracker which is one way it can produce some really rich and interesting sounds but which differ from how one would approach using the SID in a tracker. MBSID treats the SID sort of like its own complete instrument, whereas a tracker treats each voice as an instrument.

Ultimately if you want to make SID-style tracker music, your best option is perhaps something like GoatTracker, using the C64 directly, or perhaps one of the new retro solutions that have SID or SID-like implementations, like the C256 Fenix or Mega65. There's a tracker for the Fenix but I don't think it supports their FPGA SID engine yet though. Mega65 I think uses an FPGA SID design of some sort.

When the MBSID is playing a SID tune via MIDI it's using the ASID protocol in a special mode. If you wanted to try and use a tracker in this mode, you'll likely need some special software on both your computer and MBSID to do that I suspect.

The docs for MBSID are quite good, so I do recommend giving them a read as it will give you some ideas about what you can (and can't) do with MBSID. They are available here: http://ucapps.de/midibox_sid_manual.html