Midibox version of MACKI Baby HUI

djsegler

I am trying to architect the various core modeules together to create something that has similar features as the MACKIE Baby HUI. I plan to have 16 motorized faders (touch sensitive), 1 motor fader for the master, 16 encoders, and a few buttons. Here are my questions:

1) I suppose I need a separate core for every 8 motor faders and every 16 encoders correct? Thus, for the example above, I would need 3 cores for the motorized faders and 1 core for the encoders. (And of course the 1 more for the main core that runs all of the midi, LCD, basic IO, etc).

2) Also, I mentioned touch sensitivity on the motorized faders - is that supported somehow in the MF core firmware? If not, what's required to do that? I hear that if motor faders are not touch sensitive, then it can be difficult to get them to release sometimes.

3) Is there another PIC part that has more IO to avoid having to use so many "cores"? There's room in the case, but that's alot of unecessary components! However, it sure beats spending $900 on a MACKIE Baby HUI!!

Thanks.

Hi,

1) I suppose I need a separate core for every 8 motor faders and every 16 encoders correct? Thus, for the example above, I would need 3 cores for the motorized faders and 1 core for the encoders. (And of course the 1 more for the main core that runs all of the midi, LCD, basic IO, etc).

This is not quite correct - currently you need 3 cores for the MF section and one core for the encoder section. And thats all - these cores have to be connected in a MIDI chain. The MF firmware as well as the encoder firmware support 40 buttons/LEDs and in the future 64 buttons/LEDs, so that an "main core" for additional IOs is not required.

LCD: for motorfaders you don't really need a LCD, for encoders it makes sense. If sometime the MIDIbox Link works (I haven't started to evaluate this solution yet), it will be possible to display informations of every core at one central LCD.

2) Also, I mentioned touch sensitivity on the motorized faders - is that supported somehow in the MF core firmware? If not, what's required to do that? I hear that if motor faders are not touch sensitive, then it can be difficult to get them to release sometimes.

In an unreleased MF version (*) I realised SFB events to stop a fader. These events can be assigned to button inputs, so that you can:

a) use buttons to stop faders (one button for each fader)

b) use capacitive touch sensors instead of buttons

(*) I don't release immediate beta versions, but they are available via mail

3) Is there another PIC part that has more IO to avoid having to use so many "cores"? There's room in the case, but that's alot of unecessary components! However, it sure beats spending $900 on a MACKIE Baby HUI!!

If you have programming skills, you can try to develop something near it with a bigger PIC (see the Microchip page for the wide choice)... from my experience it makes no sense to spent a lot of effort just to save one PIC which costs you about US $8 ;-)

Best Regards, Thorsten.