Random Midi Data and LCD craziness

Guest hitz

I am hoping someone can help end my frustration.  

I am building the Midibox 64 with 32 buttons and 24 pots.

When I plug in the midibox the LCD displays 00_/  and //0? on the right hand side, it then begins to show a variety of arrows and question marks etc.  

Midi-Ox shows a random stream of midi data.  I am pretty sure I have all analog inputs tied to ground.  If I just connect the ain or din by themselves same problem.  Could it be the LCD?  Am I missing something?

Any help would be amazing!

The 1k pull up on J4 is connected properly.  I should mention that I am using a 4 bit LCD and added the code suggestion to the main.asm for 4-bit display.  Could this be an issue?

hmm still not working with D0-D3 pinned to ground.  I am considering rebuilding the core with a newly etched board, but I am thinking it has everything to do with the LCD.  

All of the unused analog inputs are grounded could there be anything else I could be missing?  

I am currently going through every possible problem and just when I think I have found an issue, still the same problem with the weird characters on the display.

It isn't the LCD. I just tried running it without the LCD and same random data flow.  I have looked over everything and can't seem to figure this one out.  maybe I am missing something obvious?  

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe MIOS or the application hasn't been uploaded correctly? If you've received an error message during the transfer - maybe not. In this case (or if you are not sure anymore), try to upload the application again. If it still doesn't work, upload MIOS with the first level bootstrap loader again, thereafter the application...

If this doesn't help, you are sure that it wasn't an upload error,.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hello,

I do also have weird display with my 2 xKS066 2x40 LD's...

I've tried to upload MIOS+app with on ly those 2 LCDs connected.

I managed to lood the bootstrap and MIOS, but when MIOS is loaded it displays "MIOS V"+ black characters...

And when I load the LC app  it displays sthing like black char.   "XXXX   LOGIC CO  LATION" and sends a lot of MIDI datas...

I've tried to load the "lcd7_clcd"  after the MIOs and "hello world" is displayed...but depending on when I upload it, it's shown differently (black characters appear...)

I've tried to upload others apps like houston emul (and get sthing less strange but still a lot of MIDI events) and also MBox 2.2...

I've seen that changing the time between buffers in MIDI-Ox as a consequence on the LCD display. I do not really understand what's appening : MIDI connections seem to be OK. But as nothing but the LCD's are connected to the Core (I've set MF to 0 & Nb of MF also to 0 thanks Stephen_Ti ;) , can this problem be a consequence.

In advance, thanks for your answer.

(I'll make some more tests, connecting my DINs & DOUTs see if sthing changes and tell you the results)

As my English is not so good, I'll try to take some pictures of the LCDs....

Did you take into account, that the customized app_lcd.inc driver has to be built into the application? (Just copy the app_lcd.inc into the same directory like the application and add the MIOS_LCD_TypeSet call to USER_Init like described in app_init.inc of the driver package)

However, some characters are missing - this means that there is either a problem with the enable line, or that your display is too slow - even slower than the slowest display I ever have tested (a 2x40 HD44780A00) --- normaly, from my experience, every HD44780 compatible controller - especially KS* - is much faster. If you think that the wire to the enable line is ok, then you could add some additional NOPs to USER_LCD_Strobe_Set and USER_LCD_Strobe_Clr (-> app_lcd.inc).

If it works thereafter, then you could do the same in the MIOS source code (mios_clcd.inc), recompile it and use it instead of the official version. This saves you from adding app_lcd.inc to every application.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hello,

I've checked the enable line cable which is OK and also copied the app_lcd.inc and added the MIOS_LCD_Typeset call to USER_Init (hope that I did it the good way 'cause I'm not that familiar with "programming").

I think that the problems come from the LCDs....

But what I find strange is that the displays does not react in the same way regard to the app loaded...

What I've not mentionned is hat  I'm using a psu from Pollin (+12/-12/+5V) with the 5V on Core J2, the 7805's not stuffed and the pins shortened the input/output line of this ic...I get -3V for the Power supply for LCD (purchased at bg micro) and +12V for the MF.img][img]%7Boption%7D

II'll try to get another LCD and see what appens...

Bye,

Xsou

• 2 months later...

Hello xsou,

Did you ever resolve your display problem when you were getting:

"XXXX   LOGIC CO  LATION"

I had the exact problem until I changed the file lc_init.inc.  The line below reads:

#if LCD_USE_SECOND

... in the file.  I changed it to:

#if LCD_USE_SECOND == 1

The "Logic Control Emulation ready" message then displayed correctly accros both of the 2x40 lcds.

Next problem, I'm not getting any host messages to display.  The Beats and Status seem to work fine though.

Regards,

xile