Question around Busses

phillwilson

So....Busses (sorry I am so late to the party for this sub-use of the Midibox).... I will ask my basic questions first then go into the "why"...

1. Is there anyway in Midibox Seq V4 to have more than 4 busses?

2. Is there any way to feed a bus into another bus and then into a normal midi track?

So..the why part...

I have been looking for a way to use LIVE acousitc drums to generate an move around midi note information that is then used to trigger melodic synths ( as opposed to drum samples)

I have got at least HALF WAY to where I want to be using the MIDBOX SEQ V4's Trigger Advance and bus setup and simple drum trigger to misi conversion.... current setup is I can hit my snare/kick, which has an acoustic piezo trigger on it, this then gets converted to a specified midi note on a single channel and then sent on to the MIDIBOX,

The Midibox has midi in 1  Channel 1 set  up be interpreted as Bus 1 , Channel 2 to bus 2 and so on... each of these have an associated sequencer track which Track Advance set to ON so that each melody advances by one step every time the drum is hit.... THIS part all works !!

but... what I would LOVE is to have  bussescontrol more than one function ( or more busses that can control other buses) ... because, for example  I can set up a drum to trigger a bus to control step advance...OR a bus can  can control transposition ... but not both.

I would love a way where , for example, a track could "listen" two two buses ( or a bus could control another bus for a cumulative effect) ..... so I could , for example have a midi track with just two steps ( lets say C3 and C4 an octave up) ....and I could play these each time I hit my bass drum , BUT THEN , be able to hit ,say, a tom drum, which puts out a different channel and/or note, that then is used as a transposer buss for the MIDI track , so , in this example, if could transpose my C3/C4 Steps, up to G3/G4 etc

Probably pipe dreams I know, but with this tool, it is always worth an ask !!!

(Id also gladly give up tracks/steps or layers to free up room  like in the different track types)

thanks

Phill MyOneManBand

I'm not too savvy with buss control or loopbacks, but from what I saw I don't think it's possible to have two busses controlling one track. (Also I think 4 busses are the limit too.)

Would it be an option to have your MIDI notes set up on different patterns? Maybe you can trigger a pattern change with your drum hit and that alters something?

Btw. how do you trigger step advance manually? I saw that the divider can be switched to manual, but isn't it a CC that then controls the track progression? Or am I missing something?

• 4 months later...

hi , sorry, i only just saw this reply, so the setting I am using in each track that I make as "listening" on a bus 1-4 is called STrg ( on the track mode page) this decouples any track that list on that bus from the master clock and instead has it advance by one step each time it gets a note passed to the bus that then advances the step.

its one of those genius but frustrating designs as I am total knee deep in using it, but its a shame that , currently, the midi data that is getting used as a bus trigger is of no "use" data wise beyond the note advancing the step... I have just put up a different post with a little idea where the velocity could be forwarded from the Bus input note to then be used as the velocity for whatever step sequenced notes where on steps with in tracks listening to that input bus..... this would allow for some very dynamic playing within relatively "on rails" note sequences.