5 replies to this topic

#1 Steven_C

Steven_C

MIDIbox Guru

• Frequent Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 12:31

Presently at conceptual stage. Check it out at http://www.diyaudio....09&pagenumber=1

I dunno if it will ever work, but I'm going to have a go at it. If anyone else is interested, let me know, and I can share info.

#2 pilo

pilo

MIDIbox Guru

• Frequent Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationSt Etienne, FRANCE

Posted 18 February 2004 - 16:32

OH OH!
I was lookig for something like that some month and years ago!!!
THANKS!!!
;D

#3 d2k

d2k

MIDIbox Guru

• Frequent Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 16:57

Steve!

more power to ya man :D

I'd love to have a diy'ed cutter sitting here one day!

def keep us posted - what a realistic price on a project of this scope?

Peesh

Dan

#4 Steven_C

Steven_C

MIDIbox Guru

• Frequent Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 12:42

He He!  ;D

Glad someone else is excited!

In the last 2 weeks, I have found more info on this topic than the first few months of searching!

After looking at the specs of the vestax vinyl cutter, I thought that it couldn't be too hard to match that performance! (only 12kHz freq response!  :o)

But then I saw how much a 'real' cutting lathe and electronics was! aaarrrgggghhh!

And then I looked at how expensive it was to have dubplates made, so I thought I would at least have a go at diy.

Just be warned... I don't know whether it will work yet. And cutting stylus are very expensive, around 120euro for a re-conditioned one. And quite a lot of machining (or sneaky fitters tricks!) will be required. And, a hi-torque direct drive turntable. (like modified technics 1200) and even then you have little hope of approaching the quality of a real disc mastering lathe! look at www.vinylrecorder.com for a pre-built alternative - but only if you have $$$ thousands to spare! If you know someone who has the real deal (neumann or scully disc mastering lathe) and will cut dubplates for a reasonable price, then that route would be better! (no-one near me does that!)

The electronics may be expensive and complicated too.

see ya, from Steve

BTW, have any of you looked at the thread yet?

#5 d2k

d2k

MIDIbox Guru

• Frequent Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 20:33

y0 steve!

just seen the latest on diy ;) ur gettin shit cut already huh! even if it aint great quality great to see stuff happening....!!

Keep us posted!!

Best

Dan

#6 Steven_C

Steven_C

MIDIbox Guru

• Frequent Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 16:14

;D

for those that haven't realised, I go by the name of loonatron on that forum. (Well spotted Dan!)

Will post more on that forum when I get more results. BTW, those earlier comments on SL1200 and SL1210 may not apply, as I found that a modified belt drive turntable (runs at 16rpm now) seems to work better at this stage.  

I just gotta find an old photocopier or something, to get leadscrews and half nuts and linear bearings and stuff like that from ;)

(still trying to conceptualise my MB LC MK2 at the same time... doh!)