sammichSID (running MIDIbox SID v2) MIDI connection drops out ("Undefined External Error")

gloom303

Hi all,

New to the MIDIbox SID / sammichSID, and to the forum, but definitely not to MIDI, computers or music production in general. I got the sammichSID a few days ago and I can't seem to use it for more than 5-10 minutes at a time before it stops receiving MIDI. My DAW (BitWig Studio) throws up this error and I have to un/replug my MIDI interface to get the connection back. I know, I know; that suggests a Windows issue, which it might very well be, but..

image.png.b6e9f2a338ce66b762f5c0b275c5b08c.png

I suspect the MIDIbox SID / sammichSID-unit is the culprit (something in its MIDI receive handling) because I am literally surrounded by synths from the 70s and up until now, and this is the only time I've ever had this problem.

So far I've tried:

• Using a different MIDI output on the Alyseum
  • Using a different MIDI interface
  • Played MIDI notes manually
  • Sent recorded MIDI notes from the DAW timeline 
  • Running the MIDIbox SID in mono mode
  • Taken out one of the SIDs and running it in mono mode
  • Tried two different PSUs (the current one is a proper quality Elektron 12VDC one that I normally use on the Analog Heat)
  • Checked the MIDI output from BitWig Studio with MIDI-OX just to check if it for some reason was sending something bogus, which it wasn't

..and I'm none the wiser. I know MIDI is a pretty dumb protocol, but the error reported comes from the Windows MIDI Mapper, and when I Googled around a bit I found this error tends to happen in a wiiiiide variety of situations, none of which apply to my particular hardware setup of course, so again I'm none the wiser.

That's why I wanted to check in with the forum here to see if anyone has been through something similar. I searched  through the forum for the phrase "Undefined External Error", but nothing came up so while I'm not hopeful that a solution exists, perhaps someone with more experience than myself with this particular unit has some suggestions.