Prices

Guest drummond

Guest drummond

Hi!

To buy all the necessary parts to build a full featured midi box 64, how much should I be prepared to spend (in US$)? And for a full featured midi box 16? I don't plan on using motor faders because they are probably too expensive... What's the minimum amount of money to build a simple box with 8 faders, 8 rotary pots and a few buttons with no lcd? I want to know to decide which box I'll be able to afford... Thanks!

It depends on the quality and from where you order the parts, from the way you mount the stuff (PCBs or vectorboards), from the enclosure, from the available tools... it's really hard to say.

I would assume that a least-cost MIDIbox with 8 faders, 8 pots and some buttons, built on a vectorboard can be realized for about $30. But the total costs increase fast when you order the parts from different shops, when you also need a programmer (btw: I still burn PICs for free), when the required tools like soldering-iron, cable cutter, etc. are not available.

It doesn't make a big difference if you build a box based on the MBHP design or on the old MIDIbox Plus design, because the cost-intensive parts (pots/faders/PIC) are the same.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Guest drummond

Ok, thanks for your reply.

One question: if I build a midibox 64 with less pots, the firmware needs to be changed or it'll adpat itself to the amount of pots and buttons I really have? This may sound dumb to ask, but I'm a very interested beginner...

I'm talking about saving because here in Brazil I can't find on-line components shops, good parts are hard to find and are also expensive. I was thinking about ordering all the parts from Chris' ProgrammersShop but than I'd have to pay import taxes which are 60% of the parts value + 60% of shipping costs... So it can get really expensive... But it would be easy because I'd only need pots, faders, leds, wires, power supply and enclosure to have it going, and this parts are easier to find.

One question: if I build a midibox 64 with less pots, the firmware needs to be changed or it'll adpat itself to the amount of pots and buttons I really have?

no adaption is required. Just connect all open analog pot inputs to ground and don't forget the pull-up resistor on all digital inputs - otherwise the box will send random values.

Best Regards, Thorsten.