MIDIbox SEQ V2

TK.

MIDIbox SEQ V2 is finally available for download ("...in the hope that it will be useful").

Here some informative links:

MIDIbox SEQ mainpage:

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq.html

MIOS Download section:

http://www.ucapps.de/mios_download.html

MIDIbox SEQ Hardware Options:

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq_options.html

MIDIbox SEQ User Manual:

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq_manual.html

MIDIbox SEQ Tutorial #1:

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq_tutorial1.html

Happy sequencing! :-)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Surprise surprise: My first problems ...  ;)

Minor: Can it be that the Select and Exit buttons are mixed in the .pdf of the DIN? I´m only wondering cause when I press the Exit button I´m getting into the menu...

And: Is it normal that one of those buttons (now I dont know which one...) is the old restart button of the Vintage version as long as you are in the menu?

Major: I´m using the ALPS encoders. Now when I´m turning them, the notes/events/whatever always jump up/down by two increments. I just think that some encoders are going up half the way (01...) and the ALPS ones the whole ladder (0110...) for one increment.

When I´m staying between the detends I´m getting the normal behaviour (just going up by one).

Where can I set the encoder type?

Greeetz! (Man this thing is looking so cool up to now...)  ;D

Hi,

Minor: Can it be that the Select and Exit buttons are mixed in the .pdf of the DIN? I´m only wondering cause when I press the Exit button I´m getting into the menu...

this is correct. The exit button behaves exactly like the "exec" button of the other MIDIboxes. Sometimes people suggested to call this button Exit button, since it makes more sense - so I only followed the suggestions ;-)

And: Is it normal that one of those buttons (now I dont know which one...) is the old restart button of the Vintage version as long as you are in the menu?

yes, since there is no other useful purpose for this button within the menu. Advantage: people who are using the sequencer application with a different hardware (e.g. MIDIbox16E users who only stuffed 8 or 16 buttons) are able to start the sequencer without an additional button.

Btw.: all known bugs, imperfections and planned features are listed at the bottom of http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq.html - it makes sense to check this page from time to time...

Major: I´m using the ALPS encoders. Now when I´m turning them, the notes/events/whatever always jump up/down by two increments. I just think that some encoders are going up half the way (01...) and the ALPS ones the whole ladder (0110...) for one increment.

When I´m staying between the detends I´m getting the normal behaviour (just going up by one).

Where can I set the encoder type?

See http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq_options.html (search for "setup_*.asm") and http://www.ucapps.de/mios/mios_encoder_modes.gif

Note also that the pinning of some encoders (especially ALPS) is different.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

As I thought...  ;)

All "Probs" I got are nonsense...  ::)

THNX a lot (again)!

Following text from the page:

Feature: Adaption of the Logic/Mackie Control emulation to the MIDIbox SEQ hardware for the final mix-down (yes, it already works ;-)) - motorfaders will be simulated by every second encoder.

A R G H!!! C E W L !!! Also this stands on the end of the feature list... ... ARGH AGAIN!!!

Will send you the first pictures the next days TK.  8)

-greetz!

Guest adamex

HEY Mr. Thorsten, :)

You Are the MOST IMPORTANT MAN for where Music next step is coming.)

THANX YOU AND ALL THE GUYS YOU HAVE A HEAD and TIME to DO THIS.

GOD BLESS YOU

S pozdravem Petr M, 1.czech plywood midibox owner

ps.: Are there some more commented version of MIOS ?

id love to translate them to CZECH.

1) check the schematic, it explains which resistors are required for 1V/octave - you are also able to use it for 0-5V or -4/4V, therefore such values are not specified

2) of course, MBSEQ has already been tested on a PolyKobol system :)

3) which pins are free on your PIC? These are the pins which can be used for such additional control signals (it has to be driven from midi_evnt.inc)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi TK et al,

so Im in the depths of planning my first MBSEQV2, I will save my excited rambling for later because I would prefer to solder ;)

but I have conceptual questions before I drill my front panel. I am building a cheap sequencer based around the minimal concept mentioned in forum recently. Having poured over the webpages for a looooong time now I am going to try and use just 6 buttons and a rotary encoder on the physical box for control of essential functions i.e. navigating menus, selecting parameters etc.

I think from what I understand these buttons will be the edit, mute, pattern, song, select and exit buttons. I think LEDs would be most useful on the 1st 4 buttons only, I plan to use the remaining DoutX registers to drive midi activity and beat LEDs. Can anyone see any flaws in my logic (dont all rush at once!).

I will not use general purpose buttons in this first box and therefore I will have a DinX1, DoutX1 and all other buttons will be setup on my other controller. Just before I get the drill out can anyone tell me if this will be usable or should I aim for 14 buttons and the encoder? For example is there somewhere within the menu system which will let me start the sequencer or will I only be able to start it using the midi remote functions?

Thanks in advance

Dave mK

Hi,

to your last question: you can start and stop the sequencer within the main menu by pressing the select button.

But to the other questions: I strongly recomment to build the hardware before drilling the panel! In my opinion a step sequencer with just 6 buttons doesn't really make fun, sooner or later you want to have them all so that your creativity flow won't be interrupted when you have to search for the right key on your keyboard. You will understand this once you've played around with the mighty functions!

The additional buttons are not so cost insentive. If you are using miniature buttons (the same I used for my MIDIbox SID), you will have to pay about 0.10 EUR for each, plus 0.40 EUR for every DIN register + socket, plus 0.03 EUR for each pull-up resistor, makes about 8 EUR for 44 buttons + resistors + 6 shift registers.

Do you really want to omit a powerful user interface just to save 8 EUR?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I will publish a perfect PCB sooner or later, please don't hurry...

I got two MAX525 as free samples from Maxim, and therefore never took care for the price. I'm planning to create an alternative solution for a cheaper DAC sooner or later - ideally with a pin compatible chip, so that one PCB layout can be used for both. But please understand that this takes its time - especially since I'm very pleased with the AOUT module I've already created by myself.

Since two weeks I've an Sample&Hold board up & running which supports up to 64 analog outputs (8 S&H chips are used to multiplex the 8 outputs of the MBHP_AOUT module - makes 64 outs) --- this multiplexer extension requires some extra attention in the layout to ensure best signal/noise ratio - it's also important that the MBHP_AOUT and MBHP_AOUT_MUX modules can easily be connected together - such things just cost extra development time.

If you are asking for a release date, here my answer: this summer or maybe earlier ;-)

However, People with electronic knowledge should already be able to write a driver for an alternative chip - the source is located in aout.inc - if anybody is interested: step forward!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

FAQMARKER

• 2 weeks later...

Hey MIDIBoxers!!! Long time, no see!

Well I thought I should drop in and say a quick hello, but I'll have to keep it brief....

A sidden and unexpected bump in the road came along for me some months ago and I have had no money and no internet connection (GASP!)

I'm writing this from work and I don't want to be rude to my boss, so I will have to make this short so... Yes, I'm still alive, yes, I'm still working on the sequencer (although lots of updates now that MBSEQ v2 is out!) and the 16x16 patchbay, and I'll have some money again soon, so it shouldn't be long before I can put some of this code in a real midibox and start playing :) Not to mention, getting an internet connection so I can be an active member of this wonderful group of people, once again.

Look forward to catching up with all of you!

Cheers,

Stryd_one