Maximum Number of Motorfaders

Guest JimCook

Guest JimCook

Are eight motorfaders the absolute maximum a single core module can support?  Or is this just the limitation of the MF module?  A full NI B4 implementation of motorfaders for the drawbars would require about 23 motorfaders.  Three MF modules would be perfect if a single core will support them.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JimCook

Does the fact that the motorfader pots are not multiplexed imply that a core to which motorfaders are connected can not also have an AIN card connected?  Looking at the MF hardware, it's not obvious to me why multiple motorfader cards can not be connected together using an AIN card to read the pots.   Apparently, the software can't adequately control the motion of the faders when the pots are multiplexed?

Controlling motorfaders is extremely time critical, therefore neither multiplexers, nor more than 8 motorfaders are supported by MIOS to ensure best results.

Last year I visited an AES convention and got the chance to have a look into commercial controllers. I noticed that all of them are using dedicated microcontrollers for every single motorfader!

So, MIOS is powerful enough to control 8 motorfaders at the same time! Isn't this already a great achievement? It saves you a lot of money! :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Guest JimCook

Wow!  One PIC for each fader!  Ouch!  :o You're right, Thorsten, MIOS is powerful stuff!  ;D

Can MIOS slowly morph the faders from one setting to another?  I'm thinking of a NI B4 application that smoothly shifts the drawbars from one setting to another.

Jim