midi keyboard into a SID sinth...

piku

Hi all.

I'm building a quad sid box.

i need to know if is possible to connect 2 midi in to the master core.

Do i need an external midimerger?

I'll try to explain: I've got an half broken midi controller... I want to put two octaves of keyboard and the mod and pitch weels directly inside the box (i found a nice and large box for electromedicals for 10€!!).

the midi keyboard has inside an ATMEL controller that translates all the analog inputs (of the keyboard and the weels) in midi messages on the midi channel 1.

i know that my idea is such a prehistoric solution  :-/ but... i'll set the sids to recive midi messages from the channels 2, 3, 4 and 5... while the incoming data from channel 1 (the internal keyboard) will be "routed" to the desired sid by the master core.

Questions:

Do i need another core to put two midi IN (the internal keyboard and the midi in) into the master core?

what is the programming language for pics? How can i make a code that allows the master core to change the channel of the internal keyboard to 2, 3, 4 or 5, and to change the the cc's assign of the pitch and mod weel, or to change octave to the internal cannibalized keyboard??????

the midi keyboard has a control fader that sends cc messages n7 (volume control), i could filter it's midi messages by the master core to control (for example) the cutoff or the resonace control of the SID n3 that recives on the channel 4...

How can i add some switches connected to the master core to control the various modifications of the midi signal incoming from the channel 1? (example: a switch + - to change the octave or the midi channel)

is it possible to program a procedure in basic or pascal or C language? Do i have to learn all about the assembly language?

I think is enough  :)

Exuse me for my english... i hope somebody will open my eyes!!!

Thanks

Hi,

No, the PIC18F doesn't provide a second USART, and a software implemented serial interface can never run in parallel to the absolutely compute power intensive SID synth engine that I wrote. And especially not to all the other tasks which are running in parallel like display handler, button/rotary encoder handler, etc...

So, you need an external merger for best results, and I guess that you already know http://www.ucapps.de/midimerger.html

For MIOS programming you need to learn Assembler. Please search in the forum for additional infos regarding this topic.

Best Regards, Thorsten.