idea & question

rogic

Hi,

I don't know if this issue has been discussed yet:

I can see people want to add rotary-encoders as input interfaces for midiboxes.

My question is this: Is it possible to use mouse-wheel from old mouse as a rotary encoder?

Please ignore this question if it is stupid, I have no experience about electronics...

Yep, nice idea... I found two threads on the old forum about this:

http://www.midibox.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=old_forum;action=display;num=10308161150

http://ucapps.digitaljunk.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=old_forum;action=display;num=10308161220

(There are some links there to pages explaining how to build your own encoders as well.)

What is important is the nr of pulses per revolution the encoder sends (must be 36 i believe).

How is the design for the Traktor controller going btw?

cheers!

Yep, nice idea... I found two threads on the old forum about this:

http://www.midibox.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=old_forum;action=display;num=10308161150

http://ucapps.digitaljunk.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=old_forum;action=display;num=10308161220

(There are some links there to pages explaining how to build your own encoders as well.)

Uf... I am *total* newbie to all this, so this won't help much... :(

If there is anyone who has done something about this (any schematics, etc for MOUSE hardware) please let me know ... or post a URL.

What is important is the nr of pulses per revolution the encoder sends (must be 36 i believe).

Do you have any idea how many pulses we get from wheel or XY from mouse?

How is the design for the Traktor controller going btw?

:) Nice that you've remembered me and my lamer posts :)

We are currently in status quo state, because the guy I found to make us PCBs screwed up my old CD player (I tried to check the voltage output, and the fuse protector died :( ), so I am looking to find someone serious.

In the meantime, I was checking Traktor forum about settings, etc. New version 2.0 supports midibox 100% (a guy in the forum made a midibox just for traktor).

He also made rotary encoders, but I don't know what to search for in electronic shops - no one here knows what 'rotary encoder' is :( Is there any other name for this thing?

Anyway, I am preparing faders/pots and buttons and laying out of the front panel. Version 2.0 brings more control to the sound and software, so I have to think thoroughly about the interface.

*ting*

Erm... ok, ignore the nr of revolutions thing, i just realised that i'm probably dead wrong about that one... It'll probably just mean you'll have to turn the knob longer/shorter.  :-[

About the mouse... think there are 2 types: optical encoders and mechanical encoders.

I think mechanical ones might possibly be used without any modification (some reserve with my statement here...)?

Optical ones (a led, an eye and a perforated wheel): well maybe, i dunno. Maybe one could measure a usable signal somewhere in the circuitry with a scope...

But then again i'm a newbie myself really...  ;)

I have at least 2-3 mices at home, all of them have optical sensors (I can see sensors near the wheel and XY) - so I assume all mices today have this kind of electronics.

But how can I modify and use already made PCB from the mouse? Do I need extra power supply for this thing? Can I use one combined DIN module for, for example, 24 buttons and 4 encoders (uses 8 buttons, right)?

For the record - mices are Logitech and A4Tech.

Thanks for any input

I would cut all tracks from the optical encoders and the buttons, so that the pins/connectors are free and can be directly controlled by the MIDIbox. The internal electronic of your mouse cannot be re-used, however the suggested solution is really uncomplicated. :)

Note that optical encoders contain a LED which has to be powered - just take a 470 Ohm resistor in serial to the LED and connect it with Vss/Vdd (+5V) of the Core or DIN module.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi guys,

on this arcadegames site I found 1 (yes, only 1 working link) for creating a "spinner" - as they call the jogwheel. It's a mouse hack, so it can't be to tough to make one. I hope I will learn something about the electronics 'till then :)

here it is:

http://www.arcadecontrols.speedhost.com/files/Miscellaneous/Twisty-Grip_Spinner.pdf

also, very strange (from HDD !!?!?) solution:

http://www.doughansen.net/arcade/spinner.htm

nice1 for that spinner link rogic...i just made one! have to finish the cap and mounting bracket but the internal works seem to be intact...

So u connect a 470 Ohm resistor in serial to the LED and that goes to the +5(vs) of the din or core, but which pin from the opto-interrupter do u connect to the din? I can see three pins available...

cheers

Hi,

arcadecontrols.com is a very good resource, like the Brockhaus for building arcadesticks, repair& modding of arcade cabinets etc...

I learned a lot from there, it´s just like this site :stunning projects, very informative and the people are actually helping each other.

The hdd-spinners absolutely rock, way to go for diy.

The Twisty-Grip was commercial produkt,the manufacturer decided to put the plans online after he stopped production.

And for the number of pulses per rev.-thing:  every hole equals 1 Pulse(your wheel has 64 holes-it will send 64 pulses).

You can even print them yourself,  instructions can be found on arcadecontrols.com

Sascha