first note parameter layer always set when note on other layer is entered?

John E. Finster

Hi everyone,

long time no see :happy: After a long break I unpacked my midiboxes and started making music again with my Seq.

I want to trigger a guitar instrument and setup the track so that the first 6 note layers represent the six guitar strings. That way it´s relatively easy to translate guitar tabs. Now I´ve noticed that, whenever I enter a note on note layer 2-6, one is also entered on the 1. note layer automatically. I am able to deactivate those afterwards by pulling the note down to --- with the encoder, but this behaviour is quite irritating and the solution is not very comfortable. I´ve never noticed this behaviour in the past because I never used multiple note layers before.

Is there some way to work around this? It would be ok to make changes to the source code, I can recompile.

Any ideas welcome.

Best Regards

Hi,

l

ong time no see :happy: After a long break I unpacked my midiboxes and started making music again with my Seq.

same at my side :wink:

I want to trigger a guitar instrument and setup the track so that the first 6 note layers represent the six guitar strings. That way it´s relatively easy to translate guitar tabs. Now I´ve noticed that, whenever I enter a note on note layer 2-6, one is also entered on the 1. note layer automatically. I am able to deactivate those afterwards by pulling the note down to --- with the encoder, but this behaviour is quite irritating and the solution is not very comfortable. I´ve never noticed this behaviour in the past because I never used multiple note layers before.

The default note (C-3) at Layer A is already there, we will hear it once the gate is enabled, which happens automatically by entering a note in any layer.

Is there some way to work around this? It would be ok to make changes to the source code, I can recompile.

A quick solution would be a hack in seq_par.c, line 579: https://github.com/midibox/mios32/blob/master/apps/sequencers/midibox_seq_v4/core/seq_par.c

Following condition:

if( par_layer > 0 && (par_type == SEQ_PAR_Type_Note || par_type == SEQ_PAR_Type_Chord1 || par_type == SEQ_PAR_Type_Chord2 || par_type == SEQ_PAR_Type_Chord3) )
    return 0x00; // Note/Chords are 0 by default if not in Layer A

could be enhanced, so that it also sets the Note to 0x00 in Layer A

But there is a big drawback: unfortunately it won't be so easy to introduce an individual default value, e.g. per track, because the SEQ_PAR_InitValueGet() function doesn't get the information, which track should be initialized. And I guess that you would still like to get C-3 per default for other tracks.

Therefore I recommend, that you configure a track so that all notes in layer A are disabled, and store it as a Preset in the Event menu page, so that this preparation only has to be done once, and the setup can be restored on demand.
Reminder: in conjunction with the ALL button you could set all 256 steps with a single encoder.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi TK,

great to hear from you again.

Therefore I recommend, that you configure a track so that all notes in layer A are disabled, and store it as a Preset in the Event menu page, so that this preparation only has to be done once, and the setup can be restored on demand.

That sounds like a very doable solution, thank you. I didn´t know that the notes already exist after initialization.

Reminder: in conjunction with the ALL button you could set all 256 steps with a single encoder.

It´s so great that after all that time there are still features of the Seq I haven´t used yet :grin:

TK, I have tried your suggestion and it works really well. But what I didn´t think about is that the velocity layer doesn´t display the vertical bars anymore. Apparently the velocity layer displays the note event of note layer A. Would it be possible to display a simple bar on the velocity layer like the one of the length layer?

This could only be provided as an option, because other people (like me) would very likely prefer to display velocity the way it's implemented - yes, not great if LayerA doesn't play a note (but the velocity is still displayed at the right upper corner for the selected step)

Best Regards, Thorsten.