I'd like to build a SEQ

SeverityOne

Hi, I'm new on this forum. Done some reading, some searching on this forum, done some googling as well but I'm not quite sure about everything.

Basically, I'd like to build a SEQ with everything but the kitchen sink. Since the costs are very reasonable and can be spread out over a longer period, it should work out fine. I also know what the business end of a soldering iron is, so that should be OK too.

Now, if I want a box with all blue LEDs and blue LED rings, will one core module be enough to do connect all the DIN and DOUT modules? I think I remember seeing some schematic where multiple core modules were used to spread the functionality.

Another thing, I'd also like two 2x40 VFDs instead of LCDs. I've only found one reference to a VFD on this forum. Can this be fairly easily done, or would I need to write a device driver? (I've been programming everything from Z80 assembly to distributed J2EE applications over the last 20 years, so the programming aspect should not be a problem.)

And with the blue LEDs and the VFDs, will I run into problem because of the increased power usage?

As for the buttons, I've been looking for those that have the LED built-in, much like they do on the Yamaha 01V digital mixer (to name an example), but I've haven't come up with much. Has anyone ever seen them for sale?

This is a bit of a long shot, but how difficult would it be to implement a Compact Fash interface? The issue is not the increased capacity (how many songs would fit on even an 8 Mb card?) but rather the easier compatibility with computers and card readers. Of course, apart from the hardware aspect, some sort of DOS-compatible file system would have to be developed.

Any advice about these matters would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

- Peter

Hey Peter,

The MidiBox SEQ doesn't use LED rings. You are thinking of the MB63E. You only need one core, one DOUT and 3 DIN modules. The color of the LED's doesn't matter, only the power consumption. I don't know the formulas to compute what amperage you need, but you just need to make sure that your power supply is properly rated. Maybe someone else can help with this. Here is a link to a VFD post:

http://www.midibox.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=concepts;action=display;num=1075858113;start=7#7

when you search the archive it defaults to only the last 7 days, so you need to change that to really search.

There is a picture of a midibox SID with a VFD display seppoman got it running.

Good luck on your project...

Justin

Hi,

I heard someone calling my name ;)

Power consumption: You´d have to consider this when choosing a power supply. My VFD draws about 600 mA, so with two of them you´ll need at least a 1.5 A PSU, better 2 A to be on the safe side.

Another issue: You won´t be able to build a SEQ into a 19" case with them as two of them are too large to put side by side.

I wrote a custom display driver for the VFD that I can eMail you. It doesn´t support two displays so you´d have to adapt it.

BTW: the guy I bought my display from is still selling these VFDs on eBay for 21 EUR. He seems to have a lot of them. Here´s the link: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=12070&item=5703630915

Seppoman

Hi Justin, Seppoman,

Hey Peter,

The MidiBox SEQ doesn't use LED rings. You are thinking of the MB63E.

But I want LED rings!  :'(  ;)

I read that the SEQ can function as a 64E. So would LED rings make sense in that case?

It's a bit of a bugger that those two VFDs won't fit in one 19" rack, so maybe I ought to be on the look-out for a slightly smaller type. My idea was to build a box that can function both as a table-top and as a rack-mounted unit.

Another thing. Since my set-up is pretty much computer-less, I could do with a MIDI merger/splitter. (That's how I originally ended up on this site.) Would it make sense to combine several functions in one box, and connect the various core modules together? Or would this best be kept separate?

Thanks again,

- Peter

As for the buttons, I've been looking for those that have the LED built-in,

You could use DELTRON Tactswitches with Transparent Knobs. They are available in different sizes from www.conrad.de but they are a bit expensive. There is no LED included but can be mounted by yourself (a little bit tricky). Or you could order them from www.farnell.com there is the LED allready mounted but *VERY* expensive.

Sorry 4 my bad english.