MIDIbox SEQ V2.1

TK.

Hi *,

MIDIbox SEQ V2.1 is now available for download. Beside of some bugfixes and improvements it now also features two powerful morphing modes - so, there are a lot of new possibilities (which haven't been explored completely yet ;-))

Download:

http://www.ucapps.de/mios_download.html

ChangeLog:

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq_changelog.html

New demo samples:

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq_tutorial2.html

Have fun! :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Some questions...

From the page 'MIOS v1.7 Hardware Mods'...

"With MIOS V1.7, the shift register clock of the DIN/DOUT chain must be a dedicated output, no other module or peripheral should be driven from the same pin (#22/RD3), otherwise you will notice flickering LEDs or not-working buttons/encoders."

Does this mean 22/RD3 should go to J8:SC and J9:SC, but not J10:SC?

"The IIC clock line (BankStick) is now connected to pin (#28/RD5) of the core module. Thats an easy change, since it's normaly an isolated cable. Take a look into the MBHP_CORE schematic to locate the correct pin."

IIC clock line == J4:SC?

From the SEQ v2.1 'Change log'...

"the SCLK input of the AOUT module has to be connected to port J10:MD (PIC Pin #28/RD5) of the core module"

I am confused by the use of "AOUT" here because I didn't know there was an AOUT in MBHP/SEQ. Would you please clarify? Is this for SID modules only and not MF (I understand they both use J10?)?

I've got everything built, just need to wire together, so I want to make sure I have all this straight in my head. Picked up the Peatman/Embedded Design with PIC18F452 book, too. Real excited that v2.1 came out; morphing demos sound great. Thanks for all your sharing!

Hi Marr,

this is exactly for what I've to worry about: a small but required hardware change produces a lot of confusion, regardless where and how good it is documented... please bear in mind that we are currently in a floating process between the old and the new wiring, therefore some hints in the forum and the website are obsolete. The Hardware Mods page is currently the only reference, the other pages (e.g. MBHP_CORE) will be changed in some weeks

I think that I don't have to answer all the questions, for you it's only important to know that the isolated cable from J4:SC goes to J10:MD. I've improved the Hardware Mods page, hope that it's less confusing now.

The AOUT module is an option and it's not documented yet since I haven't found the time to write down all the infos. It's a very powerful, but also very expensive module and only useful for people who want to control their analog gear directly without MIDI. This module is no must-have! See also: http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq_options.html

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey TK! I tried the new firmware this weekend! The morphing function rocks! Really cool. Especially morphing from one appregiator to another one varying the chords all the time! YEAH!!!

Just two things:

First: If playing a normal pattern producing notes, the notes loose their end point when using the Threshold morphing (it´s like playing them legato). Why is that so?

Second (just really *minor*): In the mios_tables the detended_mode2 is not documented. Yeah, I think the most people should now know that this mode exists, too, but what the heck, just wanted to mention it...  :)

After all: You can´t get any better Sequencer on the market out there! It´s some rocking piece of .... .... !!!  ;D

Hey TK!

Guess: worked!  ;)

The notes are much better now. More like it! Especially for leading synthies.

But excuse my (stupid... ? ... !) question: Why has the length to be fixed? Is there a problem assigning the notes off signals to the two different patterns?

Anyhow: Works!

Hi Pay_c,

nice that it works :)

The gatelength is only fixed in threshold mode, since Layer C contains the threshold level in this case. Just switch to Layer C during editing and you will see what I mean - with different levels you are able to define several "morphing states" between two patterns, and the states are controlled with the modulation wheel. It isn't possible to provide the length as fourth layer due to the fixed data structure and really tough timing requirements for 16 tracks (threshold morphing was just a craze of me and I thought it's better to implement it so than to left out this idea). If you want to vary also the gatelength, then use the smooth mode.

Best Regards, Thorsten.