Newbie here - which Midibox to build?

MikeHunt79

First of all, hi everyone... I've wanted to build a Midibox for a while now, but I have never been sure about which one to build.

I've already read quite a bit of the Midibox site, and while I understand most of it, I'm kind of overwhelmed by all the different Midibox's.

I already have a MIDI keyboard, but want some kind of controller to I can change things such a modulation, pitch bend, etc. I currently use a mixture Logic 5.5, Reason 2.5 and Reaktor 4 on my PC.

Now, as I understand it, the Midibox 64 is a MIDI controller with up to 64 buttons, knobs or faders on it right? And the E model has some extra features... but I'm not really sure what they are.  ??? Can someone fill me in on what they are.

Now the Midibox SEQ... It looks a bit similar to the "matrix" sequencer in Reason, but I've never touched a hardware sequencer in my life, so I'm not sure if I want/need one or not.  :) Do they have any benefits or advantages over Logic Audio, for example? Also, what does "Morph Sequencer" mean?

Finally the Midibox LC. I like the sound of this, as I'm a Logic user.  ;D Now, If I made one of these, it would allow Hardware control of Logics virtual mixing desk right? Would I also be able to use it to change synth parameters such as cut-off and resonance or would I have to build a Midibox64 aswell for that?

Finally, I noticed the Midibox's use a modular type design? Does this mean I could build a Midibox with the features of the Midibox LC and Midibox 64 combined right?

Hi there!

So: The MB64: You can use up to 64 buttons and LEDs *and* up to 64 pots/sliders.

MB64E: Nearly same as above, but instead of Pots/Sliders you use Encoders. So you don´t have to worry about these "jump" effects with pots (If your pot is at maximum while your value in let´s say Reaktor is at minimum and you move your pot the value in Reaktor jumps to the next pot value). But there are some settings in the MB64 to prevent those effects. Anyhow with some Encs you have the big advantage that you *always* have an increment/decrement like behaviour.

for the seq: Logic Audio is naturally MUCH more better and for making complete songs. The MBSeq is "just" a 16 Step Sequencer for making cool bass sequences/rythm lines and so on and other stuff. To understand, what I mean, just listen to all those example files TK has put up. Also for Morph Sequencing - listen to the examples/tutorials.

For the LC I can´t tell you to much, but: It is a "Logic Control Clone" - so it can do absolutely the same as the Logic Control - mainly it´s for automating mixing stuff (volume/pan/send effect - all that stuff mainly).

Modular: Errrrrrrr .... errrrr ... yeah, theoretically yeah .... not really. Especially at the beginning, stick to the stuff which is stated on the page. After building the first thing, you will understand, what´s it all about and can make up your mind about really trying that (e.g.: the MB64 is already capable of being a MBSeq - with a little changed Control Surface - on the other side: You can not use a MB 64 as a LC - motorfaders / encs are not pots, you know...)

Hope I could help and everythings right!

Greetz!  :D

Thanks for the reply. I'm slowly starting to absorb all this wonderful information. :)

You mentioned some examples of how the sequencer would sound... I'd be interested in hearing these, but I couldn't find these examples either on www.ucapps.de or the portal (which appears to be hacked by the way).  :o Don't suppose you know what section these examples are in or even have a link to the section.

Finally the logic control thingy... I didn't even know these existed, but now I've seen one, I definately want one.  :) I've read some reviews of the Logic Control thingy, and it also allows for the instrument parameters (such as LFO, filters, etc.) to be controlled aswell as the mixing desk. I'd be more than happy if the Midibox LC gives me all the functionality of the Logic Control thing.

I'm going to have to find out of motorised faders are avalible in the UK first tho. I'm all exited now... I'm going to be having a go at the Midibox LC methinks.  ;D Thanx again for the info!

As far as modular goes... It just means that the projects are broken down into smaller segments ( pc boards). This makes it much easier to test things when you get started. Build the core and then test it. After it is working add a DIN module and test it. And so on and so on. This is much easier than having to build everything on one board and trying to troubleshoot it. Also the boards are interchangeable between projects, so a DIN module is the same for an LC Clone, a MidiBox SID, or the MidiBox SEQ.

As far as MotorFaders in the UK, d2K has eight for sale as well as a bunch of midibox stuff in the parts archive. (if they haven't been snatched up yet.) I believe he is in the UK. See his post in the parts archive section. http://www.midibox.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=parts_archive;action=display;num=1089712098

As far as the hacking goes, I hope there is a good backup plan for this site! I would hate to lose any of this incredible resource!

Justin

pay_c: Thanx for the links... I'll check out the MP3's

goyousalukis: I see what you mean about the modular thing now - seems like a good way to do things. I've contacted d2k about those bits... It looks like these bits became avalible at just the right time!