rs232 to midi

Guest edwardus

Johnc.

I think that your best bet is to use the serial (RS232) interface capability of the MIDIBox. The serial interface is capable of sending and receiving using long cables. It has been mentioned that 4000’ can be used with an extremely good cable. Your 75’ should be no problem with a good cable. You will then avoid using mid distance boosters and other home made products. See http://www.arcelect.com/rs232.htm I don’t know what research is behind the information in this page but I think it worthwhile looking into.

Prof Leo

Johnc.

I think that your best bet is to use the serial (RS232) interface capability of the MIDIBox. The serial interface is capable of sending and receiving using long cables. It has been mentioned that 4000’ can be used with an extremely good cable. Your 75’ should be no problem with a good cable. You will then avoid using mid distance boosters and other home made products. See http://www.arcelect.com/rs232.htm I don’t know what research is behind the information in this page but I think it worthwhile looking into.

Prof Leo

• 2 weeks later...

Another idea use:

Dutch: glasvezel

Deutch/english? glassfiber

I don't know if you've got to use a led or a laser for this one, but you've got to transform the midibytes into lightpulses, transport them through glassfiber and than transform this back. This is like a long range optocoupler, normaly used to isolate the midiapparatus. (6N138 if I'm not mistaking)

Another idea use:

Dutch: glasvezel

Deutch/english? glassfiber

I don't know if you've got to use a led or a laser for this one, but you've got to transform the midibytes into lightpulses, transport them through glassfiber and than transform this back. This is like a long range optocoupler, normaly used to isolate the midiapparatus. (6N138 if I'm not mistaking)