rs232 to midi

Guest edwardus

Guest edwardus

hi all

can i use the LTC module at her own , to use the rs232 port of an older laptop and get the midi information at the midi output of this module so i can link this to a    midi-to-64output ( relais) board

this output board has midi in and 64 outputs decoded by an atmel 90s2313 controller

If this can work , we can use midi music inside the laptop and send this information to the valvebox of an monkey organ . and wich soft is to use in the laptop

many thanks

Guest edwardus

hi all

can i use the LTC module at her own , to use the rs232 port of an older laptop and get the midi information at the midi output of this module so i can link this to a    midi-to-64output ( relais) board

this output board has midi in and 64 outputs decoded by an atmel 90s2313 controller

If this can work , we can use midi music inside the laptop and send this information to the valvebox of an monkey organ . and wich soft is to use in the laptop

many thanks

No such luck..
Are you sure Moebius? What I think Edwardus is hoping to do is put a MIDI to serial driver on the laptop and use the LTC board to build a MIDIbox that receives the non-standard serial input. The MIDIbox itself might be a MIDIO128 to control the valves on a monkey organ. The LTC saves a box on the laptop to create standard MIDI signaling just to talk to the MIDIbox. As I understand it a minor modification would be needed in the MIDIO128 software to change the communication rate. With that and the LTC board it seems like the link between the laptop and the MIDIbox can be a serial cable. I don't think Edwardus needs a standard MIDI signal.

No such luck..
Are you sure Moebius? What I think Edwardus is hoping to do is put a MIDI to serial driver on the laptop and use the LTC board to build a MIDIbox that receives the non-standard serial input. The MIDIbox itself might be a MIDIO128 to control the valves on a monkey organ. The LTC saves a box on the laptop to create standard MIDI signaling just to talk to the MIDIbox. As I understand it a minor modification would be needed in the MIDIO128 software to change the communication rate. With that and the LTC board it seems like the link between the laptop and the MIDIbox can be a serial cable. I don't think Edwardus needs a standard MIDI signal.

Guest edwardus

Hi  jimhenry and moebius

we have and board that read the midi-info  ( note number and note on  or off ) from an midi file on the PC , this info is decoded by an atmel 90s2313 and and then via decoded note nr one of the 64 flip flop s ( 8 x 74hc259 ) is set H or L and is send  via a part of the 8 uln2803 to a relais and the air valve can open or close .

The problem now is that a pc is a bit big to put in the organ and whe have an older laptop , but this laptop have only RS232 an // output , no MIDI or game output .

so the midi info have to be read via this RS232 port

Elektuur have a project that do the conversion rs232 to midi , but this is a bit complex and expensive now whe found that LTC module , small and cheap ) but works this module on his own ?? no microcontroller and so

if this dont work , we have to build an board based on a microcontroller , pic or atmel .

edwardus

Guest edwardus

Hi  jimhenry and moebius

we have and board that read the midi-info  ( note number and note on  or off ) from an midi file on the PC , this info is decoded by an atmel 90s2313 and and then via decoded note nr one of the 64 flip flop s ( 8 x 74hc259 ) is set H or L and is send  via a part of the 8 uln2803 to a relais and the air valve can open or close .

The problem now is that a pc is a bit big to put in the organ and whe have an older laptop , but this laptop have only RS232 an // output , no MIDI or game output .

so the midi info have to be read via this RS232 port

Elektuur have a project that do the conversion rs232 to midi , but this is a bit complex and expensive now whe found that LTC module , small and cheap ) but works this module on his own ?? no microcontroller and so

if this dont work , we have to build an board based on a microcontroller , pic or atmel .

edwardus

Moebius understood what you wanted to do correctly and I did not. No, LTC will not do what you want.  LTC is only a level shifter for the MIDIbox Core module.

If you wanted to replace your Atmel based MIDI to relay interface with a MIDIbox MIDIO128 project it could be adapted to receive MIDI messages by RS232 using LTC. You would have 4 small PCBs plus your laptop to run the organ.

Good luck with whatever approach you use for your project!

Moebius understood what you wanted to do correctly and I did not. No, LTC will not do what you want.  LTC is only a level shifter for the MIDIbox Core module.

If you wanted to replace your Atmel based MIDI to relay interface with a MIDIbox MIDIO128 project it could be adapted to receive MIDI messages by RS232 using LTC. You would have 4 small PCBs plus your laptop to run the organ.

Good luck with whatever approach you use for your project!

Still,

edwardus.. You have that Atmel based board already assembled? (or is it a commercial product?)

Anyway: Organ midification (with MIDIO128, scan matrix ect.) is very a busy topic at these times. There are MANY highly skilled people (Jim especially ;D) developing and discussing organ midification.

And Midibox doesn't really cost that much, (and comes with serial midi included, I think)

Bye, Moebius

Still,

edwardus.. You have that Atmel based board already assembled? (or is it a commercial product?)

Anyway: Organ midification (with MIDIO128, scan matrix ect.) is very a busy topic at these times. There are MANY highly skilled people (Jim especially ;D) developing and discussing organ midification.

And Midibox doesn't really cost that much, (and comes with serial midi included, I think)

Bye, Moebius

Hi edwardus,

There is another thing to consider here. Is the application that runs on the PC basically a MIDI application? If so it may not be possible to use a standard RS232 com port even if you had an RS232 to MIDI converter unless you have a driver that is deisgned for this purpose.

Does the laptop have a USB port? If so you could build the USB module which can be used stand-alone. Consider that the USB module is not really for a beginner at hardware construction due to the surface mounted chip.

Does the laptop have a PCMCIA slot? If so you can purchase a relatively inexpensive MIDI card for that.

Just some thoughts :)

Hi edwardus,

There is another thing to consider here. Is the application that runs on the PC basically a MIDI application? If so it may not be possible to use a standard RS232 com port even if you had an RS232 to MIDI converter unless you have a driver that is deisgned for this purpose.

Does the laptop have a USB port? If so you could build the USB module which can be used stand-alone. Consider that the USB module is not really for a beginner at hardware construction due to the surface mounted chip.

Does the laptop have a PCMCIA slot? If so you can purchase a relatively inexpensive MIDI card for that.

Just some thoughts :)

• 4 weeks later...

Question to anyone interested:

I am running the midi signals from two merged midio128 core modules as keyboard converters to my PC running jorgan.  Rather then install a computer in the console, I would like to change from midi to ethernet (cat 5), rs232 or some protocol so that I can extend the cables from the fixed PC to the console.  Total distance will be  about 75 feet.  Any suggestions?  What about wireless?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Johnc

Question to anyone interested:

I am running the midi signals from two merged midio128 core modules as keyboard converters to my PC running jorgan.  Rather then install a computer in the console, I would like to change from midi to ethernet (cat 5), rs232 or some protocol so that I can extend the cables from the fixed PC to the console.  Total distance will be  about 75 feet.  Any suggestions?  What about wireless?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Johnc

John,

You could use the LTC module to convert to serial interface. Then you could use a booster to get to your 75 feet. See for example the following link http://www.bb-europe.com/product.asp?dept_id=16&sku=232LB9R . Secondly you have to persuade the PC serial to talk to the jOrgan and the Miditzer and I don’t know how to do that.

Per S

John,

You could use the LTC module to convert to serial interface. Then you could use a booster to get to your 75 feet. See for example the following link http://www.bb-europe.com/product.asp?dept_id=16&sku=232LB9R . Secondly you have to persuade the PC serial to talk to the jOrgan and the Miditzer and I don’t know how to do that.

Per S