what kind of refresh rate and latency?

Guest vitriolix

Guest vitriolix

hey all,

a year ago i thought about building my own fader box from your plans, but chickened out and bought a Niche Automation Station... i like it a lot, but it seems that the sliders have a slowish refresh rate... i havent tried to time it, but it seems like something like 5 refreshes per second... this is really too slow for me.

since i bought it i've done quite a but more soldering on another project and am just now building up enough nerve to think about building my own box again, this time with MANY more nobs and buttons that the Niche provides.  My biggest concern though is that i demand REALLY low latency and high refresh rates... what kind of times can i expect with the plans detailed here?  

thanks a lot for any advice!

-josh

Guest vitriolix

hey all,

a year ago i thought about building my own fader box from your plans, but chickened out and bought a Niche Automation Station... i like it a lot, but it seems that the sliders have a slowish refresh rate... i havent tried to time it, but it seems like something like 5 refreshes per second... this is really too slow for me.

since i bought it i've done quite a but more soldering on another project and am just now building up enough nerve to think about building my own box again, this time with MANY more nobs and buttons that the Niche provides.  My biggest concern though is that i demand REALLY low latency and high refresh rates... what kind of times can i expect with the plans detailed here?  

thanks a lot for any advice!

-josh

Not sure if I understand your question....... ???

The details below refer to the motorfaders only. Taken from: http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp_mf.html so check it out.

"the update cycle for each fader takes less than 100 uS! (Every pulse shows the execution length of the IRQ timer which starts an AD conversion, controls the appr. motor and feeds the register chain of the MF module"

Not sure if I understand your question....... ???

The details below refer to the motorfaders only. Taken from: http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp_mf.html so check it out.

"the update cycle for each fader takes less than 100 uS! (Every pulse shows the execution length of the IRQ timer which starts an AD conversion, controls the appr. motor and feeds the register chain of the MF module"

Guest vitriolix

looks like you are talking about the update time of moving the faders... while i'd love motorized faders its not imparative for me.  what i'm talking about is the output from the fader box.  on my Niche if i connect on of my sliders to a slider in logic (or whatever) and move the slider rapidly up and down, i can see a noticable stutter in the values it send to the program, looks like it only refreshes the values it sends out 5-10 times a second.  is this clearer now?

thanks,

Josh

Guest vitriolix

looks like you are talking about the update time of moving the faders... while i'd love motorized faders its not imparative for me.  what i'm talking about is the output from the fader box.  on my Niche if i connect on of my sliders to a slider in logic (or whatever) and move the slider rapidly up and down, i can see a noticable stutter in the values it send to the program, looks like it only refreshes the values it sends out 5-10 times a second.  is this clearer now?

thanks,

Josh

Hi Josh,

for the update cycle I took special care and implemented a nice feature called "dynamic priorities" which samples the last two turned pots more often then the others. Therefore, the latency (or update-cycle) for these two pots is less than 1ms (note that the transmission of a MIDI events gets about 960 µS). All the other 64 pots of MB64 are sampled in between 10-15 mS.

Summary: the general update frequency is 50-70 samples/second (MB64), the dynamic update frequency of the last two turned pots about 100 samples/second

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Josh,

for the update cycle I took special care and implemented a nice feature called "dynamic priorities" which samples the last two turned pots more often then the others. Therefore, the latency (or update-cycle) for these two pots is less than 1ms (note that the transmission of a MIDI events gets about 960 µS). All the other 64 pots of MB64 are sampled in between 10-15 mS.

Summary: the general update frequency is 50-70 samples/second (MB64), the dynamic update frequency of the last two turned pots about 100 samples/second

Best Regards, Thorsten.

It was my invention - don't know if any other controller is working with the same optimization, but if such a controller has been created after May 2001, the designer was possibly inspirated by MIDIbox Plus V1.802 ;-)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

It was my invention - don't know if any other controller is working with the same optimization, but if such a controller has been created after May 2001, the designer was possibly inspirated by MIDIbox Plus V1.802 ;-)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

This value is derived from the MIDI baudrate 31250b/s

32µs for one bit, 320µs for start/stop-bit and 8-bit value, 960µs for a common MIDI event without taking the running status into account (which can save one byte in special cases)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

This value is derived from the MIDI baudrate 31250b/s

32µs for one bit, 320µs for start/stop-bit and 8-bit value, 960µs for a common MIDI event without taking the running status into account (which can save one byte in special cases)

Best Regards, Thorsten.