Forum Topic Display Question

Synapsys

Hi all,

This question is just one of curiosity. When I go to a topic list here the word "new" is displayed apparently indicating that something has been added to the topic. When I go look at the topic and come back to the list the word new is gone (as I would expect). However, when I come back to the list, say the next day, the word new is back even if nothing has been added to the topic. Does anybody know why this is? This makes it much more time consuming to work through some of the very long topic threads in a list that has many pages.

Not a gripe .. just a quirk  :-/

Hi all,

This question is just one of curiosity. When I go to a topic list here the word "new" is displayed apparently indicating that something has been added to the topic. When I go look at the topic and come back to the list the word new is gone (as I would expect). However, when I come back to the list, say the next day, the word new is back even if nothing has been added to the topic. Does anybody know why this is? This makes it much more time consuming to work through some of the very long topic threads in a list that has many pages.

Not a gripe .. just a quirk  :-/

On my setup the cookie that stores what has been read and what has not gets corrupted about once a week, resulting in "new" tags on everything.  Don't know if this happens to others. Clicking "mark all posts read" on the main forum page clears it up for another week or so.

Best!

Smash

On my setup the cookie that stores what has been read and what has not gets corrupted about once a week, resulting in "new" tags on everything.  Don't know if this happens to others. Clicking "mark all posts read" on the main forum page clears it up for another week or so.

Best!

Smash

Happens to me all the time, and it's rather annoying, now that i have little time to sift through messages i already read.Is this an IE problem? What browser are you guys using? I use mozilla at home, well used to, i have no internet at home for now so I must check at school........

L8R

Happens to me all the time, and it's rather annoying, now that i have little time to sift through messages i already read.Is this an IE problem? What browser are you guys using? I use mozilla at home, well used to, i have no internet at home for now so I must check at school........

L8R

I use Mozilla now but it also happened when I was using Explorer (exploder?)

I was completely wrong about the cookie corruption thing, I did some digging in the YABB support forums and found this:

This is because the user log settings. To conserve space and execution time, only topics visite in the last X days are kept in the log. Any topica visited more than X days ago is flushed from the log, and will therefore be marked as new. New messages that has never been visited will ofcourse always be marked as new. The value for X can be changed in Forum Preferences and Settings (Remove entries from users lofs after ___ days). Teh default value is 30. Remember that increasing this value will increase log file size, which leads to more HD space used, and more time loading/parsing the file.
And this:
The forum keeps a log of which topic each individual users has visited. Everything NOT in this log is marked as new. To avoid this log growing too large, it will only keep the entries for the last X days in this log. This leads to the fact that topics last visited more than X days ago will no longer be in the log, and will therefore be marked as new again. The best solution here is to increase the value for X, thus keeping the entries in the log for a longer time. For a small-time forum, X can easily be set to 100 and more, while it should be set lower on bigger forum. About 30 days is right for a large forum such as the one on this site.

So, in conclusioun, you should definately increase the value you have for 'Remove entries from users logs after ___ days', as 21 days is way to short (As this means that topics will turn new again 21 days after teir last visit to them)

Best!

SmashTV  :)

I use Mozilla now but it also happened when I was using Explorer (exploder?)

I was completely wrong about the cookie corruption thing, I did some digging in the YABB support forums and found this:

This is because the user log settings. To conserve space and execution time, only topics visite in the last X days are kept in the log. Any topica visited more than X days ago is flushed from the log, and will therefore be marked as new. New messages that has never been visited will ofcourse always be marked as new. The value for X can be changed in Forum Preferences and Settings (Remove entries from users lofs after ___ days). Teh default value is 30. Remember that increasing this value will increase log file size, which leads to more HD space used, and more time loading/parsing the file.
And this:
The forum keeps a log of which topic each individual users has visited. Everything NOT in this log is marked as new. To avoid this log growing too large, it will only keep the entries for the last X days in this log. This leads to the fact that topics last visited more than X days ago will no longer be in the log, and will therefore be marked as new again. The best solution here is to increase the value for X, thus keeping the entries in the log for a longer time. For a small-time forum, X can easily be set to 100 and more, while it should be set lower on bigger forum. About 30 days is right for a large forum such as the one on this site.

So, in conclusioun, you should definately increase the value you have for 'Remove entries from users logs after ___ days', as 21 days is way to short (As this means that topics will turn new again 21 days after teir last visit to them)

Best!

SmashTV  :)

Thanks SmashTV :) This is what I was looking for. Only problem is that I cannot find where this setting is.  ???  The only preference settings I can find are in my Profile area and this one is not there. Anyone know where this setting is?

Regards,

Synapsys

Thanks SmashTV :) This is what I was looking for. Only problem is that I cannot find where this setting is.  ???  The only preference settings I can find are in my Profile area and this one is not there. Anyone know where this setting is?

Regards,

Synapsys

Regards,

Synapsys

This is not a setting that the user can change, it's part of the setup of the YABB system.  If Thorsten were to raise the log time, it would slow the forum down, take up more space on the server, etc.  I can live with it vs. slowing down the server!  

Best   :)

Smash

Regards,

Synapsys

This is not a setting that the user can change, it's part of the setup of the YABB system.  If Thorsten were to raise the log time, it would slow the forum down, take up more space on the server, etc.  I can live with it vs. slowing down the server!  

Best   :)

Smash

maybe I didn't understand correctly, but then shouldn't only the items x+1 days old be returned to "New" status? it seems like everything gets reset... and only after a few days..... however I can deal with it if it keeps the forum running smoother. I will just need to learn how to remember what day it is and when i was last on the forum.......not so easy for us with ADD.....

Thanks for the insight Smash!