$1 Bourns encoders @ the MIDIbox Store

smashtv

No business on the forum, except for group orders...... ;)

::) Yeah....

The special offer has ended and encoders are available from the shop, so I thought it's better to avoid clutter and direct people to the source, where they end up anyway.

Bye, Moebius

p.s. "...and how much it was again that local shop wants for encoders with a switch.. 8.60 Euro.. " :o

p.s. "...and how much it was again that local shop wants for encoders with a switch.. 8.60 Euro.. " :o
That's insane!

I could maybe understand if this was rarely used technology (like a motorfader) but mechanical encoders are used in everything consumer.

The locals:

Need new sources

or

Need to quit profiteering

Best!

Smash

So...you can remove the dented??

I like to have those babies non dented, how hard is it to remove??

Can someone please explain before I order some....

And those with pushbutton function are they easy to push or is easier with an ordernary push button.......

Thanks

Christoffer

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I used the bourns encoders in my SID CS...

i modded all but the menu encoder  as non detendet. when i check the encoders with my DMM everythng seems ok.

now i've got the problem with "skipping values"

I tried "detented" and "detented2" as well as "non-detented"

I've also tried several speed values, but nothing helps.

when I turn them fast, theres no problem, but I can't set exact values. for example when i try to transpose an OSC.

the values are going like 4,5,7,6,8,5,6,10,9,12,17... :( really annoying!

even my menu encoder, which is detented is skipping sometimes, but not that much.

moebius (or someone else?) I read you use the bourns encoders as well in non detended mode. any problems like this?

any suggestions?

so long,

julian

PS: I Just tryed a Voti encoder modded to non-detended. no problem here. works good. but i don't want to change all the encoders in my CS! (much work, specially when you think the bourns encoders must work as well). i noticed the bourns encoders got a much "cheaper" feeling when turning them. with the menu encoder i can change values by just moving it a little without a "click"

moebius (or someone else?) I read you use the bourns encoders as well in non detended mode. any problems like this?

any suggestions?

Not me - I just recycled information in one post.

But suggestions: I've got this funny feeling - I know, You know Voti's encoders pinout, but are you sure you connected the Bourns one the right way?

Bye, Moebius

yes i'm 100% sure i connected them the right way.

i changed the pinning for the voti encoder.

meanwhile i also tried different pinnings on the bourns encoder... that was just making it worse ;)

so, anybody here using non detented bourns encoders without problems?

so long,

julian

now i've got the problem with "skipping values"

Did you just flatten the kink or remove the spring completely?

The encoder will skip values like this if there is not enough tension between the contacts and the wiper disc. 

This spring serves double duty providing this tension as well as the detent "clicker":

springdetail.jpg

It's possible to mash the "clicker" bend flat on the spring and bend it slightly so it gives enough tension between the wiper disk and the contact tracks/pads.

i noticed the bourns encoders got a much "cheaper" feeling when turning them.

Did you clean the lubricant out of these encoders?  Without it they will have a much shorter life and won't feel right, they are engineered with that lube in mind.....they feel really tweeky and cheap without it......

with the menu encoder i can change values by just moving it a little without a "click"

Keep in mind that the menu encoder is setup separately from the others, and is in different detent mode than the others by default.  Have you changed the menu encoder from the defualt setting yet?

Best

Smash

• 2 months later...

I tried both. bending it down and removing it complete... same behaviour...

but now that i slept long enough, I'll give it another try ;)

so long,

julian

Did you ever resolve this problem? I just ordered some encoders from smash and want

to remove the detents and was wondering if there is anything I should watch out for.

Has anyone else got these working properly with the detents removed?

Thanks,

Luke