Organ Bass Pedals

Guest these_go_to_11

Guest these_go_to_11

Hello All,

I'm new to MIDIBOX, having just found this tonight while searching for DIY interfaces to MIDIfy a set of old organ bass pedals.    The boxes in the Gallery look amazing, but I haven't seen anyone who has used a set of pedals as input.  Has anyone on the forum done this?  Is it as simple as using one of the basic designs with the analog input module?  Any info appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Many, like me, have MIDIFyed whole organs, manuals, pedals, and stop keys. What you need is one CORE module and a DIN (Digital in) module. This will give you 32 inputs. Don’t use the analog module. You also need the MIDIO128 application program and the MIOS operating system. And of course appropriate switches for the pedals. Some ideas can be found at http://www.hauptwerk.co.uk/pedalboard.html.

Good luck

Per S

Guest these_go_to_11

Hi.  Thanks for the reply!  Can you possibly elaborate on the reason for putting new switches in the pedals as opposed to using the analog switches that are already there and an analog module?   I searched out a pedal from an old organ which basically has 13 on/off switches in it to a common ground.  

I think Per was saying you don't need an AIN board which is for continuous type analog inputs such as a potentiometer.  The switches of the pedals are on/off devices and they are read with a DIN board because on/off switches are considered digital devices.  So if you make a CORE module and a DIN module you will have the necessary hardware to use the MIDIO128 project to connect your pedal switches.  You should provide an LCD display on the CORE module because it simplifies knowing what is going on.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

I have midified a bass pedal unit following the procedures from the midibox forum, with the help of Shultz_po and Jim Henry. Their advice is sound! Take it and move on.  I would also suggest that you take some time and read all of the postings on the forum related to midification.

Good Luck,

Johnc

• 9 months later...

can someone confirm what is required to add midi to a set of 13 note pedals?

as I have read, I believe thet the following is required.

Core unit

DIN unit

MIDIO128

Has there been any recent changes, if I am reading corectly, I have 128 inputs available. I would think that max 32 would be required for this.

is there any "all in 1 DIY solution" on a smaller scale?

thx

chris

Thats right to MIDIfy your pedals you'll need:

1 core

1 DIN (you could build that on stripboard)

Load the MIDIO128 application.

In terms of a smaller sized project, you don't have to fit all the components to the core in this case, take a look at the schematics and see what is actually used.  If you decide against an LCD you can leave out a whole bunch of components.

SD