MIDIbox FM preview

TK.

This is incredible - an FM synth as well! Now, true to the FM tradition, the user interface would probably consist of four buttons and a two-segment LED display :D but do you have a general idea of the amount of buttons involved? I'm going to order them for the SEQ and the SID, see. :)

Great job!

- Peter

This is incredible - an FM synth as well! Now, true to the FM tradition, the user interface would probably consist of four buttons and a two-segment LED display :D but do you have a general idea of the amount of buttons involved? I'm going to order them for the SEQ and the SID, see. :)

Great job!

- Peter

I think this is in a pre-preview stage.. TK's just showing that he can control the chip and get the sound out.

Those original FM synths had as intuitive user interface as FM programming was, to the musicians ;) (Maybe math professors did like it? ;D)

TK:

I need this time to find an optimal user interface and an optimal sound architecture

If TK reads this:

Maybe 2x40 LCD + "Soft key" (8?) + encoders concept (8?) for main parameter editing with various default screen setups for different parameter groups? (And possibility to fast reassign of any encoder to any parameter)

Bye, Moebius

If TK reads this:

Maybe 2x40 LCD + "Soft key" (8?) + encoders concept (8?) for main parameter editing with various default screen setups for different parameter groups? (And possibility to fast reassign of any encoder to any parameter)

Copy&Paste from an email to d2k:

Currently my MIDIbox FM looks like MBSID Step A, I will probably use a 2x40 LCD in the final version. Due to the flexible concept the display size doesn't matter during the developing phase.

A Master/Slave concept like MBSID is not planned and not required, because the application already provides a multitimbral mode with 5 common MIDI channels (Mono/Legato/WT/Poly) + one drum channel

The "instruments" can be assigned to 4 audio outputs.

128 Patches are already available (I converted the GM set from the Linux driver)

All OPL3 parameters can be modified

Development of software based sound engine (Portamento, 2 LFOs + 1 EG + AOUT + 7-track/32-step wavetable sequencer per channel) not started yet - however, the sounds are already impressing :)

Plans for complete control surface not before december, I want to create some own sounds before, in order to find out the best usage concept.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Addendum: if somebody cannot resist to build more than one MIDIbox FM, then the additional units can receive premade sounds from the master module. It's similar to MIDIbox SID, but w/o realtime control for the slaves

• 2 weeks later...

Some of you may be interested in doing some preliminary soundcard shopping to find a YMF262-M.  Here are a few cards which contain the (probably required) YMF262-M and YAC512-M.  

Today I took a day off from work and headed out to the local old-computer-junk store, Cal's Computer Warehouse ( http://www.goseecal.com/ ).  He had a number of ISA soundcards, three of which I purchased for $7.99 CAD.

- Creative Sound Blaster Pro 2 (CT1600)

- Media Vision Pro AudioSpectrum 16 (also has a Zilog Z0538010VSC SCSI chip, if anyone cares)

- Turtle Beach Tropez Rev 2.0 (complete with 30pin SIMMs, a wave ROM, and MC68EC000)

There were a few more cards that had the 262 and 512 onboard, but I didn't purchase them.  Here they are in case anyone is curious:

- ESS AudioDrive (no part number, though the ASIC was labelled ES688F)

- Aztech (again, no part number, ASIC AZT2316A)

- Creative Sound Blaster 16 (this one was made in 1992)

It almost seems like a shame to sacrifice that Tropez, though... kinda reminds me of my old AVM Apex.

i was just looking on the web.. at least one place has the ymf262m new..

http://www.ic-distributors.com/HTML_ICD_Y.shtml

i couldn't see the yac512 on there but they have about 500 of the main chip.. and a $50 minimum order, maybe mike or smash would be interested in selling these

i know it's not very diy to use new chips ;-) but i like the idea of them being shiny and new.. and if they're available cheaply enough, maybe others would want them as well..

While there are certainly penty of these chips on old cards in recycler's wharehouses etc, the handling involved increases the price.

The idea that tubes of these chips exist as surplus stock in component resellers inventories is interesting. Maybe they exist elsewhere, as well?

Hi,

There are virtually 10s of thousands YMF262s and YAC512s sitting in surplus stocks - And somehow I guess that nobody _really_ needs them ;)

Buying a nice bulk of those would leave old soundcards untouched for the best duty ever - As practice targets at shotgun shooting range ;D

Bye, Moebius