testing sids

airmailed

good idea... but they're new and un-c64-d...

so the good news is that there are new sids on ebay right now..

the not so good news is that they were £5 2 weeks ago.. and are now £10.. if lots of folk from here rush to buy them the guy will raise the price more i think.. he has at least 95 and is selling them very slowly...  so everyone play it cool ;-) everyone who wants some that is... i think they will be around for  a few months at least

i didn't actually get mine yet but can post again when they arrive

i think that the "paint" you see is a thermoconductive paste, it's normal

I've never seen any SID with a heat sink in a C64...

If the paint is in the middle of the chip and if you can remove the "paint" easily by scratching lightly with your fingernail, it's heat-conductive paste.

Otherwise it could be a mark of the chip manufacturer. I've seen such marks on several older computer chips.

Quality assurance marks  ???

If it is only on the edge I would think it is not thermal paste, or at least tht it had not been installed (or not properly). I would agree that it maybe could be some QA marking, but that's not too comforting either.

I pulled a sid from a worjking c64 once , andhte thing seemed to work except the filter. Swapped in another, pulled from a dead c64, and it all worked fine. Havent had the time to switch my working modules over to 8580 to test my new chips ( hoping for the thanksgiving holiday to provide the time).

Did you buy any extra? I made sure to in case some didn't work.( and if they all do, I build more!) I'd build the sid up to step a and test them.

If you bought yours from the same guy as me be carefull.

Pre-sale, nice as pie and very helpfull. Post sale, once I found that one of the three I bought was faulty, took 3 days to get a reply to my email telling me that sending him 3 emails was not the way to contact him and that he needed the item number etc. sent that earlier in the week and no reply at all.

If anyone else is going to buy I suggest getting written confirmation that a faulty SID will be replaced before parting with any cash. I looked back through the feedback and it looks like there have been other dissapointed customers as well.

You have been warned

Dave

hi Dave..

thanks for the offer, i have sent you a pm about testing the chips...

as for getting your faulty one replaced.. i think it is worth writing to the guy in a few days, staying calm with him.. maybe sending the chip back by registered post (if it's knackered anyway then nothing to lose) with a note saying this one is faulty, i want you to send a replacement please.. something like that.. worth a go anyway

best wishes

adam

I don't think I would be willing to accept a chip packed like this, non-conductive plastic bags are a bad thing (anti-stat bags are never clear).

Just imagine how much vibration happens during shipping, and how much of a static charge that does build.  

I know it's on a astat foam square, but that will just ensure that a static hit is taken by all of the pins at once.

If these were actually new old stock replacement parts, they would be on a bug tray or other anti-static carrier, and he would not have several different generations (R2, R3, etc).  These are likely pulls from scrap machines, but maybe packaged long ago and maybe not by the seller.

Buyer beware indeed.

That said, this guy's deal beats the hell out of shipping C64's and 1541 drives all over the planet, even if one of every two bought is dead you still probably won't evilbay a SID for less money.

Best!

Smash