Modular MIDIBox 64e

Guest Vercengetorex

Guest Vercengetorex

I am in the design process for my MIDIBox 64e, and wondering if it would be possible to have one of my four DIN modules in a second enclosure detachable from the Core Module and the primary control surface?

Yeah you can set it up for an external box....

I would probably leave the din in the main box and just use a connector for the buttons/encoders etc....

When you disconnect however...you must somehow pull up/ pull down, so you wont get floating inputs. Just make a termination connector with all the pins connected.

Most people just use regular d-sub connectors, but If you are willing to pin a connector, and need a bunch of pins, circular connectors are nice. (Lockable)

Guest Vercengetorex

I would much rather put the DIN module in the second enclosure so I only have to connect 5 pins between the two, rather than 32. Making use of a standard MIDI cable for this connection would be quite desirable, avoiding the necessity for homebrew cable solutions.

PS I understand that this is not MIDI data being passed between the DIN and the core, and I also understand that MIDI only occupies 2 conductors of its 5 pin din connector, however all of my MIDI cables have all terminals connected.

hi,

I think to mount the DIN externally with fewer wires to connect is the way to go also.

Of course the remote DIN will be the last in the chain of DIN's.

My advice would be to use a cable with a ground sheild which should be the case with a midi cable.

Second, be very carefull with the pinning of the connector to make sure the midibox ground ends up connected to the sheild of the cable.

Also make sure that the pin designations result in the situation that if a MIDI device accidentally gets connected to this expansion port it does not damage the device be it a MIDI out or MIDI in. This can be acheived by looking at the core as typical circuit (for MIDI out and MIDI in) and trace what would get connected to what  in the event that you or someone else should accidentally connect it to your expansion port. Just make sure that what results could not damage anything.

Also I would connect a few decoupling capacitors (100nF mono ceramic) across the 5V rail of the DIN board. This is simply standard electronic engineering practice especially important when the DIN board is a much greater distance from the core than it normally would be. It may also provide some static protection my reducing the power rail impedance when the the box is disconnected.

Just a few easy precautions to take, like I said standard practice, and you'll be fine.

cheers

Guest Vercengetorex

Naturally, the externalized DIN will be the last in the chain, and the decoupling caps and properly grounded sheild are a must, but I dont beleive that MIDI cable sheilds are usually connected to the 5pin din shield. I do have a surplus of male to male H-15 cables that have individually sheilded conductors, as well as sockets for them, so this is probably the route I will take.

Another thing that should be considered here is the capacitive load the cable will put on the signals to the DIN chain. Think about how the touch sensors for the faders work. When touched the capacitive load on the signal is high enough that the signal is no longer recognized as a logical high. The same thing will happen if too long a cable is connectd to the DIN signals.

Guest Vercengetorex

I will be using the HD 15 (VGA) cables, so I will be under 4ft, conductors will be individually sheilded, and I am pretty sure the capacitive load of these cables should be quite low, as they are used to transmit high frequency video data.

Thank you all very much, I really appreciate this feedback, and hope to have my new MIDIBox up in the gallery in a few weeks!

• 1 month later...

Hey Vercengetorex

I'm also thinking about some modular parts for a LC.

Where are you standing with your project?

Did you experience any trouble with the cable lengh of 4ft?

Does anybody know, about I could run into trouble, when I split the Motorfaders (4 and 4) too and mount them in different cases? - I expect a max. cable lengh of 3ft.

Greets, Roger