--== Computer Design & Panel cutting ==--

neodjandre

OK this topic should evidently mark the start of my project which I will refer to as "Midibox DJ" from now on.

The first step which I consider reasonable is the design of the preliminary layout of the front panel (and the side panel for midi in/out, power on etc.)

I have seen users making use of AutoCAD and Corell. My question is which piece of software should I use in order for my final file to be compatible with laser cutting equipment. Do you have any preferences over a particular app?

I have also seen I website where you download a piece of software and after drawing your plan, you just send the file and they prepare the panel for you. But that was way too expensive. (you are being charged by the number of holes you make on your panel :))

That's it for now, I have more thoughts to follow up after your initial comments.

thanks

Ash

thanx LO, I am already in the process of creating the layout...

My concern at this stage is that there should be some standard dimensions for drilling the wholes for the LEDs and the slids for the faders for example. Is this true?

Obviously at this stage I should be buying the buttons, knobs, joystics I am intended to use in order to infer the actual dimensions for making the cuts. This is like going all the way to the end of the project whilst just making a start ! a big commitment i would say :)

Yes, there are standard dimensions, you find the dimensions by looking at the datasheet for the part you order. For example go to mouser.com and find some buttons or pots and look at the data sheet - it will tell you the spacing. The critical thing is that you space holes for pcb mounted parts so that they mount properly. I am not too experienced, but I can tell you that Thorsten's front panel design for the midiboxSid is right on the money. You can use that to get started. I printed that out and taped it to a piece of aluminum and drilled the holes. Everything lined up perfectly. For my next panel, I will start with that and cut and paste parts from it.

Justin

remember you don't have to make your front pannels first,  i think it is probibly better to make the modules first and hook things up to see how you like using your project best, this will inform you well for how you want things laid out.  A trick that i used when i was working on some guitair stomp boxes was to wrap a small cardbord box in aluminum foil to try things out first, it means that you get screening if you need it  but also you can try lots of difrent layouts out, if you build the controlls on veroboard then you can just desolder using desolder braid move things arround and make new holes in the cardbord.

• 2 weeks later...

hi all

i'm a new member here, planning a midibox to use as a controller for ableton live, cubase sx and max/msp. i'm thinking of a design with 8 motor

faders, 8 joysticks, 16 knobs and 32 buttons. i run on os x exclusively, so do any of you know of a panel layout program that is compatible with os x?

thanks for the info, i'm sure that i will be posting many other questions in the months to come.

cheers

bruce