mbfm_proto_final3.jpg

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.:

the DINX4 and DOUTX4 module are donations from Rasmus

the CORE module is a donation from SmashTV

the OPL3 module is a donation from d2k

the panasonic rotary encoders are also a donation from d2k

the 2x40 LCD is a donation from Hallucinogen

the front- and rearpanel have been payed from MIOS donations :)

Hi D,

I noticed you've a phono on the backpanel there for spdif - that addition all ready to go to then?

no, this is also a future feature (which won't be developed by myself, but by another forum member --- but he should introduce this project by himself once he feel ready for this :-)) - it will require an expensive (already assembled) FPGA board, so it's only for real freaks

Also, those 2 tx's - is that one for analog supply and the other for digi ye?

yes, the analog power out is for the AOUT module, the digital power out is free for anything else (I like to have those additional connectors).

The digital domain of the AOUT module is powered from the 6-pin DIN connector. 5 pins are going directly to the AOUT, 4 of them are shared together with the 6th pin for a "DOUTX1" module which provides 8 gate outputs.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi,

you need one MBHP_CORE, one MBHP_DINX4, one MBHP_DOUTX4

Some LEDs and (this time also) buttons are multiplexed in order to save money, but this will be clear once I release the interconnection diagrams. However, you should already be able to check the modules with the common test applications (just trigger the DIN with a cable to ground, and test the DOUTs step by step with a single LED)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...

hey thorsten,

i know it's been brought up in other posts, about the lack or knobs and whatnot on the control panel, and i know your resaons for that. the simple way around this, as you've said, is to connect it to a dedicated mb64. i imagine as long as you have a decent cc list, it shouldn't be all to hard, and wont take up too much, if any program editing. am i wrong? one could just bury the guts of the mbfm inside the mb64 casing and not use the lcd from the mb64, but put on the mbfm's. i don't know if this would cause any real issues with using the software editor for either system, but if so, i'm sure one could simply have dedicated midi ports on the rear of the panel to solve it. please tell me if i'm way off here. thanks

p.s. thanks for keeping all us synth geeks from sleeping. you rock.

Hi,

I never stated that a MB64 could bring any advantage for controlling the MBFM, and I must say that it's not clear to me why this rumor exist. In the meantime I think that the user interface is maybe so unusual, so advanced, that people cannot imagine how ergonomic the usage is without trying it out (note: more than 500 parameters are controllable --- there is no parameter which cannot be modified from the inbuilt user interface)  

Or do I miss something?

Which advantage do you expect from additional knobs?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

forgive me thorsten. i thought i  got the idea from the the "mbsid idea" post from cheater. i must of misunderstood. I in no way think that your interface is lacking. it's just a personal thing. i have never ever liked menu editing and multiple button pushing. iti s why i will never own a triton (well, among other reasons) or any real "workstation." I will take another reall hard look at your interface and see if i'm just being to knob happy about things. please forgive any insult that you might have felt due to my last post.

Hi,

I also don't like those synths with a deep hierarchical menu structure, where you have to click-click-click through thousands of menues. But for MBFM (and MBSID) it's a different situation: there is only a small number of menus (well sorted), and it provides a lot of special function buttons (for MBFM e.g. 4 instrument select/OP select + 24 menu view buttons + one sortcut button + 8 softbuttons) for quick access to all parameters.

Best Regards, Thorsten.