In love with LED rings

rodneon

Has anyone peered inside any of these commercially-available controllers to see what their LED rings look like? I couldn't find any info about any companies selling ready-made LED rings. I suppose it's not that hard to make a 9-, 11- or even 15- segment LED ring, but this 31-segment one takes the cake:

http://www.plugzilla.com/press/photos/fp_limited

Someone has to be making those custom for Plugzilla, as I haven't seen that kind anywhere else.

Is there a way to build a "LED ring module" to use with the MIDIbox? I mean, something that wouldn't require so many pins from a DOUT? Some kind of multiplexer, maybe? I'm new around here, and I haven't build a MIDIbox yet, but I'm really interested in the visual and functional aspect of controllers and such, that's why I'm just baffled by the LED ring concept.

I don't think the electronics are difficult, you can find ledrings (or matrixes) in Midibox projects. For example 8x8 outputs give you 64 leds.  If you'd take a dedicated pic you could make a matrix as big as you like.

However, I think the trouble is more the physical creation of a ledrings with so many leds. A lot of soldering and precision work. How would you solder so many leds in a nice perfect ring? SMD Leds (and IC's) would probably do it, but that seems difficult to make at home.

Integrating such a 'module' would require some custom programming I imagine, using either the midi slave mechanism of Thorsten or another serial connection of some sort.

I have found these a few weeks ago

http://www.ledtronics.com/ds/CBG1500/Default.asp

You can find more by making a web search with keyword 'circular bargraph'

nice input, wazoo! :-)

They provide a common cathode, and since it's possible to customize the LED patterns, I don't see problems from the software side :)

FAQMARKER

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I haven't ordered this devices yet.

If someone interested can find a distributor for this ledrings, it would be nice to post here

the adress and their saling conditions...

But I think it is possible to make a little CI to solder rectangular or cylindric led with spacer, to achive the same look for

a lower cost....

I think it is possible to make a little CI to solder rectangular or cylindric led with spacer

What is a CI? Is it like a bezel? It would be cool if some manufacturer could make a bezel that the LED's push into, with a centre hole to mount an encoder into. Then the hole lot could be mounted to the frontpanel of a midibox, just by drilling one hole with a simple holesaw.

But the original midiboxLC that Thorsten made is probably the best, cheapest, and easiest solution... Just do a CAD drawing and let the lazer cutter do all the hard work!

Another option, which is what I would do if I were to build a LEDring, is to make a plastic mold. I haven't tried this, but it's an idea... I'll try to describe the method using words:

1. Draw (or print) the arrangements of the LEDs and center hole on a piece of acrylic foil, like those used for overhead projectors.

2. Drill a hole in a fairly thin piece of wood the exact size of the whole piece (in other words, a big circle around the LEDs).

3. Carve or find a cylindrical piece the same size as the center hole for the encoder/pot. Something tells me that the game pieces in the old board game Risk would be perfect, but I'm not sure.

4. Using stick glue or a very thin layer of school glue, attach the LEDs to the acrylic foil -- you'll have to use LEDs that are flat on top, of course. Do the same for the cylindrical piece.

5. Using the same method as above, glue the acrylic sheet onto the wooden mold. Now you should have an exact negative copy of the "missing piece of the puzzle".

6. Pour any kind of liquid/malleable polymer into the mold. I would think that the caulk used to seal bathtubs and shower door rails would be okay to use. Even glue, paint, or clay might work.

7. Wait for it to dry and peel the acrylic sheet off the wooden mold. With a small blade, like a scalpel or an Exacto knife, remove the final piece from the mold.

There you have it! If anyone tries this, let me know whether it works... or not! I'm not responsible if it doesn't though... ;)

• 3 years later...

I have found these a few weeks ago

http://www.ledtronics.com/ds/CBG1500/Default.asp

You can find more by making a web search with keyword 'circular bargraph'

the problem is to make the holes in the panel...  >:(

Anyone interested ?

I received a sample, the cost is 3.46$ each per 100 pcs.

More ordered, cost less.  ;)

I have a good local contact with the supplier.

Really nice.

3262_75-1_gifede76c06d5fca0ff43b424f58b1

3264_ledring-1_jpg68df07364155950dc617fb

3266_ledring-2_jpg0b5187b4a47868ce090633

I`m little confused... If I converted dimensions right, inner diameter is 10.16mm. That means the knob on the picture is not more than 8mm in diameter. Also I guess it cannot be used with regular sized Alps/Voti/Sound Well encoders. Right? How long shaft needs to be to have both encoder and LED ring soldered on same PCB?

I`m little confused... If I converted dimensions right, inner diameter is 10.16mm. That means the knob on the picture is not more than 8mm in diameter. Also I guess it cannot be used with regular sized Alps/Voti/Sound Well encoders. Right? How long shaft needs to be to have both encoder and LED ring soldered on same PCB?

The ledring is 11.18 mm thick and no, Soundwell encoders wont fit. Encoders like ~9mm or ~12mm max is required. Like the one SmashTV is selling.

This ledring panel cutout required to use Laser.

Oh no...  Sounds like yet another front-panel redesign...  I think I've lost count!  ;D

My only question is - how bright are they?  The impression I'm getting is that they may be a little washed out...?

(Those multicoloured straight ones look nice, too)

• 5 months later...

depend on the price, 3,50 is pretty much...

I am for 150 of these babys...since....all projects should have ledrings...sid, fm, mb303 :P :P, all midicontrollers....

as i said, 3,50...if it will get to 3,50 I only want 70!....the cheaper the better (and more)

since i have the nordrack 3 it is a must have  8)

clavia-nord-rack-3.jpg