combining with a Paia Fatman

Davo

I have all of the parts to build 2 mbsids...however I am leaning towords MidiboxFM it has much greater capabilities.

I have built a Fatman.... well technically speaking it's a DIY multi-Fatman. I didn't buy a Fatman from Paia.. just used thier schematics. (Thanks to John S. at PAIA for making the schematics public domain).

So, all that having been said.... what is it you are wanting to do with the MBSID/Fatman combo?

I feel I can assist with the analog end of the setup.. not too sure about MBSID part tho...

gb

Hi peeps ;)

YEaahh.. I've been working on MOD/add-on board layout ;) (2nd 12db/Oct filter + BP filter mod, (Roland style: SH-101) Sub oct, Gate controlled Slide.. Switches to select A(S)R and ADSR re-trigger on legato notes ect... ;))

IF your thinking of adding Scott Gravenhorst's input mod - that seems ok. The only thing to care about is, do you want to hear Fatmans OSCs together with external input. Then you can control both on same midi channel, or use different channels for some nice/strange gating effects.. :D

Bye, Moebius

p.s.

(Thanks to John S. at PAIA for making the schematics public domain).
True, so true. I thought about designing my own boards with modifications already on-board and with some new flash based Atmel *51.. but thanks to Illogik and SmashTV, I got those boards.. er cheap enough.

I will look at the schematics for the filter input.  I am afraid I built my Fatmen in modular form, so all the modules are on individual circuit boards.  In my case, that would make it much easier to do what you are wanting.  (run the audio out from the MBSID into the filter input?. are you going to control filter modulation with an AOUT?)

and I agree with moebius' questions about wanting to hear the fatman at the same time.  if you don't then you are going to want to put a switch in there between the oscillator output and the filter input (actually I guess you could use a 3 connector 1/8" jack ... jack in from SID switches out the fatman oscillators... jack out the fatman oscillators are fed into the filter normally)

also... the fatman filter is only 12db/octave.  Nowhere near what the moog filters sound like(they being 24db/octave).  Scott's modifications to add another section to the fatman filter works well for me and I have a stand alone pc board layout if you want to burn one yourself.

hope this helps, lemme know if you want to get the pc layout and i will put it on my website.

gb

That stand-alone board, is that for a ladder filter intended to be combined with a sid synth?  If so, I'd like to have the layout.  Can you put it in Postscript or PDF?

I'm not sure how I'd be controlling the filter modulation.  For now, I think I'll keep the Fatman in a stock configuration and see what that standalone board can do for me.

It is Scott Gravenhorsts filter mod for the fatman , it shows how to use the UNUSED portion of the lm13700 to add another 12db/oct lowpass section. you string these together to get 24db/oct.

i just put the fatman filter section on a board, then did these mods.  So technically i guess it's 2 fatman filters ready for use with the sid.

i have it in photoshop, so yes it is available as a 1:1 pdf.  I need to look and see if i have parts placement layers or not.. otherwise it's gonna be a bit confusing.  lemme look at that today and get it all put together for you.

• 3 months later...

I'm in the middle of a multiple-stage hypermodification of my Paia Fatman.  The first stage includes stuff that requires only one toggle switch, one pot, or less.  Those will be mounted where the front-mounted jacks used to go.  Two of these is a VCF expansion that gives a more moogy 24dB/oct and a VCF input jack.  If I can figure out how to implement a simple gate and pitch output on the SID and FM synths, that would take care of my desire for a VCF for a while.  According to the schematics, it looks like I can simply plug those CVs into the appropriate jacks on the Fatman.

More about the modifications, it seems like the Paia Fracrack is an ideal platform to mount further mods.  It might even be nice for assorted knicknacks connected to midibox-based synths.