SID capacitor question (in SmashTV kit)

jhitesma

Just got my first batch of boards and bits from SmashTV on saturday, started putting them together last night and made quite a bit of progress (1 DIN, 1 DOUT, JDM completed so far) but ran into a few stumbles on the SID module.

I have two extra capacitors.  I searched the forums and wiki but can't find any explanation for these extra bits.  They're polystyrene caps and are radial leads and the two that I believe are supposed to be used for C1 and C2 are axial leads even though the pads appear to be for radial or ceramic caps.

The two I installed were labled "470J 50V" and were axial - I mounted them like upright resistors with one lead run down the side since the sides were insulated and the schematic called for a 470pF caps.  The two mystery caps are labled 6800J.

Can anyone explain these two extra caps?

BTW - I'm pretty impressed with Smashes boards and parts so far.  I actually tried ordering parts myself first but could only save a few cents over the price of his kits so I decided it wasn't worth my effort.  The only problem I've had is the resistor holes on the SID baord.  Dosn't matter how tight I bend the leads (and I saw the demo video) they will not lay flat on the board...the resistor body is simply longer than the space between the two holes.  I left two of them sticking a bit above the board and for the other two just mounted the vertically instead.  Only other problem was the top hole for R4 on the SID board was partially blocked and I couldn't get a lead through it.  But it was just solder and with a fine tip on my iron I was able to melt it out and then mount the resistor.

I already placed my second order since he was sold out of CORE's before.  Hope I can have all my DIN modules built by the time those get here :D

Can anyone explain these two extra caps?

Hi,

Different caps for different SIDs - a quote from MB_HP SID Module page:

"The two caps between Pin 1/2 and 3/4 of the SID are required for the filter. The ideal values may differ with the SID version you are using, so it's possibly a good idea not only to purchase the recommended 470 pF caps for 6581, 6.8nF caps for 8580 (which have been taken from the original schematics), ..."

BYe, Moebius

....axial leads even though the pads appear to be for radial or ceramic caps.
The legend matches the caps you would pull from a C64 board, I did not have a specific cap in mind when I re-designed these for production and easier home etch (a very long time ago)  ;)

BTW - I'm pretty impressed with Smashes boards and parts so far.  I actually tried ordering parts myself first but could only save a few cents over the price of his kits so I decided it wasn't worth my effort.

Thanks for the positive words!  Standardized quality at the best price possible is my goal.  I enjoy the benefits of operating out of my house, but I try my best to act like a big company with good service...... :)

The only problem I've had is the resistor holes on the SID baord.  Dosn't matter how tight I bend the leads (and I saw the demo video) they will not lay flat on the board...the resistor body is simply longer than the space between the two holes.  I left two of them sticking a bit above the board and for the other two just mounted the vertically instead.
I have changed this....But with a stack of the R2 boards still here it will be a while before the R3 board.

The video that shows me inserting resistors flat is on a CORE board, and the lead spacing on the SID is much smaller (like for a 1/8w resistor).  The resistors in the kit won't lay flat on the SID board.  I should have explained that a little better.....my apologies......

Only other problem was the top hole for R4 on the SID board was partially blocked and I couldn't get a lead through it.  But it was just solder and with a fine tip on my iron I was able to melt it out and then mount the resistor.
This is caused by the HASL plating.  Unfortunately the electrical short/open tests at the factory and my quick drill alignment and tearout checks just don't always catch blocked holes.......

Thanks again and have fun!

Smash

• 2 weeks later...

Woo Hoo.  Sounds like I got it right after all.  I finished building and wiring it all up earlier this week - the realized I couldn't find my joystick->MIDI cable anywhere and none of the shops in town had one :(

Thankfully the one I found on ebay shipped quick and yesterday I was able to load MIOS and get it all working!  I missed the change for the CORE->SID wiring for 1.7 but once I figured that out it was working great!  (other than me wiring my encoder backwards and  forgetting that the pins on top of the DIN board have common on one side and the pins on the bottom have it on the other.  But that didn't keep it from playing - just make my partial surface kind of hard to use!)

Now to go gut the other 64 I have on hand and assemble the second CORE/SID that I got from Smash.

Big thanks to TK for the designs and Smash for the great boards/kits!  You guys made this almost too easy :D