few questions about MBFM...

ladybug

i m about to embark on the MBFM journey...

as i m no expert i want to collect as much info as i can before i start.

1) why not use  RCAs on the output ?( i think they more "common") any special reason for that ?

2) me a bit confused with the psu ! i want to make only 1 psu not 2, should i use this :

http://69.56.171.55/~midibox/forum/index.php?topic=3970.msg26175#msg26175

did someone tried it, is it good ?

or maybe somone have any other ideas ?!

3) on the MBFM circuit pdf : above the TL074 there are some +/-12v connected to caps. , it seems to me they are coneected to nothing.

same thing for the caps. above the YACs and the YMF. and J3 too.

what are those ??? what should i do with them ?? should i build this circuit (on a protoboard) exactly as it is on this PDF ?? (with the mentioned above connected to nothing??)

1) why not use  RCAs on the output ?( i think they more "common") any special reason for that ?

no way, man.  i can't think of a single synth that has RCA outputs.  why wouldn't you want quarter inch outs?  if you'd prefer RCAs, though, just solder those on instead of quarter inch jacks.

i m about to embark on the MBFM journey...

as i m no expert i want to collect as much info as i can before i start.

Why can't you just use RCAs? Would you mind if MB_FM had a balanced output with a specified transformer? XLR? Just wire it.

2) me a bit confused with the psu ! i want to make only 1 psu not 2, should i use this :

http://69.56.171.55/~midibox/forum/index.php?topic=3970.msg26175#msg26175

did someone tried it, is it good ?

or maybe somone have any other ideas ?!

Hmm.. It's just perfect - really. (You can add more caps. on the either side of the regulators)

This schematic is the only way to make sure that any MidiBoxer don't get killed. We don't want that.

3) on the MBFM circuit pdf : above the TL074 there are some +/-12v connected to caps. , it seems to me they are coneected to nothing.

same thing for the caps. above the YACs and the YMF. and J3 too.

what are those ??? what should i do with them ?? should i build this circuit (on a protoboard) exactly as it is on this PDF ?? (with the mentioned above connected to nothing??)

This is just a normal way to mark "so-called" power supply bypass capacitor. These are connected to any IC pins, they're supposed to bypass. Please -  See the board layout instead.

Bye, Moebius

here are the answers to myself as i understand it,

CORRECT ME IF I M WRONG !!

1) stick with the quarter-inch outs, forget about RCA (although i dont understant why ! - doesnt most of the mixers ins are rca ? what so ugly about them ? why do u oppose them?)

2) this : http://69.56.171.55/~midibox/forum/index.php?topic=3970.msg26175#msg26175 is the BEST solution, go for it, it works great.

3) ignore them !

(whats my score in this test  :-\  )

1) stick with the quarter-inch outs, forget about RCA (although i dont understant why ! - doesnt most of the mixers ins are rca ? what so ugly about them ? why do u oppose them?)

Quater-inchs are MUCH more robust then RCAs. Just plug RCAs 1000 times in and out and you will know... That's the main reason for Quater-Inches in professional music instruments.

3) ignore them !

No, please don't ignore them! They are on the board layout! If you let them out, your MBFM may be unstable and you will spend hours of needless debug time. :(

They are NOT connected to nothing but to supply voltage and ground for stabilization of the supply voltage and for prevention of glitches. It's just a common way of drawing them in schematics...

doesnt most of the mixers ins are rca ? what so ugly about them ? why do u oppose them?

you can always buy a quarter-inch to RCA adapter if you need to.  even if your mixer only has RCA inputs, think of any effects pedals, amplifiers, etc....they ALL have quarter-inch jacks.