A Midi interface for live.

bodimix

First off I'm now in love with MidiBox

I'm posting my first post in this forum because I actually found the MidiBox website while researching information on how to make my own MIdi controller for Ableton.

As a DJ who is wanting to open up my 'possibilities' I've found that Ableton is a great tool. I've wanted to incorporate Live into my regular setup and after seeing *gasp* Sasha using it. (Actually at the same event as the above photo link;) I was convinced of it's possibilities for 'on the fly' "remixing" and/or "mixing". 

I just wanted to have something more along the lines of a DJ mixer design but didn't want to have to donate a kidney for an Allen & Heath Xone 92 which I think doesn't actually have Midi on every control and as some might have noticed some other midi contollers lack of substance or presence. The UC 33 is a nice controller for Live but just isn't tough enough for me not to mention only has 3 knobs above the channel. (I prefer 4 channel EQ's) and the X session would be nice with some sliders.

I'm proud to say that I found MidiBox and it's great world here all on my own. I've looked through the gallery and have read some great tips and I'm actually planning on trying to build my own mavenish Ableton controller.

Hopefully those people over at Maven and other companies aren't going to run off to the factory and mass produce some MidiBox gear. I'd hate to see a good community of electronic artists be exploited and not even given a mention along the way.

My 2 cents.

Cheers

Nathan

First of all ace that you guys run this place, a great source of usefull info, mind you

I don't think sasha is trying to show of that he is pionering this way of djing, he is actually one of the first in his corner of the house spectrum. Dj's liek Ritchie Hawtin play techno which is way more minimal and therefor a litle bit easier to play around with as there is not much melody involved and its more beat based. sasha is geuine about this. imo

Nor do I think he is trying to commercially market this controller. But if a company commercially missuse a midbox design you should go after that company...

• 2 weeks later...

Looks ike there's an audio interface in there, like an m-audio or something, hence the audio out. I seriously doubt the Apple's on-board sound could deal with what's been thrown at it and would have latency issues. Plus it makes sense to put it all in one box, powered by one mains input.

Can anyone check to see if this has a patent on it? You'll find out who built it and maybe what's inside.

• 2 months later...

cheers to all in me first post.

i did a phone  interview with sasha, some may find interesting. I didnt get to talk nearly as much about the deep details of the Maven as I would have liked- had to promote his cd and tour.

But it may be something I can do in the future.

http://dancemusic.about.com/od/remixersproducers/a/SashaFundInt.htm

regardless, ive got a lot more to say about all this and my own goals of building something, and have just started learning about midibox.

have to run for now but cheers to all,

ben ;D

• 4 months later...