MBSeq behaviour

tatapoum

Hello,

Often with my seq I don't take care that the All button is on and when I want to change one note, all my line is destroyed. So I aim to change this function to transpose all function.

One other thing. When pressing on Exit, the MBSeq display :

[tt]MIDIboxSEQ V2.2d

Patterns      <>[/tt]

Pressing Select start playing and pressing Exit enter in the selected subitem (Patterns here). Why Select start the sequence ? That's strange, it should be more logical to enter with Select button and Exit come back to the pattern view.

Last point, Menu button has to be pressed simultaneously  with the GP one. I have small hands and it's impossible for me to enter in a menu with one hand when the the other is busy on the keyboard. Why not wait for 5 seconds between Menu button pressed and GP selected ? All GP leds could blink fast letting the user known that the Seq is waiting for a Mernu selection.

If I'm the only one in this case, I will take a look to the code to see if I can change these strange-to-me behaviours. I you just have to starting point.

ludo

Hi Ludo,

Often with my seq I don't take care that the All button is on and when I want to change one note, all my line is destroyed. So I aim to change this function to transpose all function.

for myself the ALL button is very important, especially when I want to configure a certain mode (e.g. arpeggiator mode)

One other thing. When pressing on Exit, the MBSeq display :

[tt]MIDIboxSEQ V2.2d

Patterns      <>[/tt]

Pressing Select start playing and pressing Exit enter in the selected subitem (Patterns here). Why Select start the sequence ? That's strange, it should be more logical to enter with Select button and Exit come back to the pattern view.

I made this change on a request from somebody who wanted to use the sequencer with minimal hardware requirements: one display, four menu navigations buttons and one rotary encoder. The "start/stop via select button" feature in the main menu is the only way for him to start the sequencer

If you don't like this behaviour (I implemented this to make somebody happy and not to confuse anybody) then you can replace SEQ_BUTTON_StartStop by CS_M_NOP in cs_menu_tables.inc

Last point, Menu button has to be pressed simultaneously  with the GP one. I have small hands and it's impossible for me to enter in a menu with one hand when the the other is busy on the keyboard. Why not wait for 5 seconds between Menu button pressed and GP selected ? All GP leds could blink fast letting the user known that the Seq is waiting for a Mernu selection.

If I'm the only one in this case, I will take a look to the code to see if I can change these strange-to-me behaviours. I you just have to starting point.

Are there other oppinions?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Are there other oppinions?

hi ,i've solved this matter placing the menu buton at the center of my seq ,so i can enter the menu pages with one hand (but two fingers!) .

and for my second SEQ ,the menu page will be reached with encoders with switch (the additionnal cost is not important, if you buy the SmashTV ones).if i don't success with the code tweaking ,i think i will simply link the MENU buton with the encoders switchs ,as Tatapoum have done for the fast function in his SEQ.

for myself the ALL button is very important, especially when I want to configure a certain mode (e.g. arpeggiator mode)

you can change the buton behaviour so it will be active only when you press it ,so no mistake possible (it's in the main.asm)

T.K. :always trying to do much ,i was thinkiin some days ago about the possibility to add one rotary encoders at each line of buton of my next "beast" ,that can tweak directly the setting pointed by the menu page selected ,but i want to know before if the seq can handled different change for each track at the same time (e.g. transposing one track down and a second one up)?

secondly ,i've made  "seq_butons.inc" and the "mios_tables" to drive 64 individual butons , here is any real interest (for performance) in doing a "butons matrix" ,as you explain in the 64 buton matrix example?

T.K. :always trying to do much ,i was thinkiin some days ago about the possibility to add one rotary encoders at each line of buton of my next "beast" ,that can tweak directly the setting pointed by the menu page selected ,but i want to know before if the seq can handled different change for each track at the same time (e.g. transposing one track down and a second one up)?

I've no idea how to realize something like this so that it can be controlled in an intuitive way

In general I fear that there won't be enough code space anymore for such very very individual extensions. Just have a look into the main.lst file, at the end you will find a graphical (ASCII) memory map. The code should not exceed 0x7c00

Even if it seems that there is enough memory free (currently the last instruction is at ca. 0x7a00), keep in mind that I'm planning to complete my TODO list sooner or later. This means, that you possible won't be able to update to a new release.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I didn't told that the button is not usefull, but for myself I think I should be better to configure this button to a transpose all function. Is it possible ?

If you don't like this behaviour (I implemented this to make somebody happy and not to confuse anybody) then you can replace SEQ_BUTTON_StartStop by CS_M_NOP in cs_menu_tables.inc

Thanks !

hi ,i've solved this matter placing the menu buton at the center of my seq ,so i can enter the menu pages with one hand (but two fingers!) .

That's a solution, but I hadn't thought about that during design phase.

and for my second SEQ ,the menu page will be reached with encoders with switch (the additionnal cost is not important, if you buy the SmashTV ones).if i don't success with the code tweaking ,i think i will simply link the MENU buton with the encoders switchs ,as Tatapoum have done for the fast function in his SEQ.

That's a good idea too. On my design, GP encoder are link to Fast and the Main encoder is link to Select.

you can change the buton behaviour so it will be active only when you press it ,so no mistake possible (it's in the main.asm).

That's true !

ludo

I didn't told that the button is not usefull, but for myself I think I should be better to configure this button to a transpose all function. Is it possible ?

everything is possible when you know the right places for modifications ;-)

You could create a flag which modifies the behaviour of SEQ_EVNT_Transpose (seq_evnt.inc)

This is the only function which transposes "notelike" events

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hello,

[\quote]

i had the same problem.

i solved changing a line in the main.asm and recompiling all the mios:

;; Behaviour of FAST button:

#define DEFAULT_BEHAVIOUR_BUTTON_ALL 0

putting the value 0 instead the default 1.

in this way, the ALL button remain active only for the time i press in. when i release the button the "all" mode doesnt work any more

this is a lot more useful!!