extended midibox64

gm02froe

hi,

the limits of digital/analog inputs/outputs given per application are the limits of what 1 core module can handle (with that application). It's possible to link cores/apps; so if you want more dins-->build 2 cores and link them.

good luck, marcel

64 AINs

64 AOUTs

hi ,

for the 64 ain ,no matter ,but in order to have 64 aout ,you will need 8 Aout module ,so you will need 8 core!! to have so many analog output , you must use the  MBHP_SHX8 board ,that can handle 64 outputs .i suppose that one core can only handle one of such a board ,so you will need at least two CORE ,but ,as it's mentionned on the site ,only the MIDIbox64 support this board.It's mentionned :

Please note that this module requires special support from the application which is not possible in all cases

so ,be sure before to be abble to do such a project (what kind of gear do you have? if it's a modular synth ,i want to see it!!!)

You can use 128 DINs with MB64, just enhance the USER_DIN_NotifyToggle hook. Only problem is that the SysEx structure doesn't support so much configurable MIDI events, but so long you only want to send static events (e.g. Notes or CCs which are always the same, and where only the Velocity/CC value changes), this doesn't really matter.

The MB64 supports also 64 AOUTs (requires SHX8 module)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 3 months later...

Hi Thorsten

The MB64 supports also 64 AOUTs (requires SHX8 module)

I enabled the AOUT and AMUX inside the main.asm, played around with mios_tables.inc, but dont seem to get any electrons moving (well, not on the SHX8 module). As I mentioned above I am looking for a straight forward mapping of midi note/velocity events to voltage like with the MIDIbox CV. How can I do this?

You can use 128 DINs with MB64, just enhance the USER_DIN_NotifyToggle hook. Only problem is that the SysEx structure doesn't support so much configurable MIDI events, but so long you only want to send static events (e.g. Notes or CCs which are always the same, and where only the Velocity/CC value changes), this doesn't really matter.

that sound perfect to me, but I shy away of such an enhancement, since I am not well established in assembler. though your suggestion would be very elegant, I would rather opt for the modified ain64_din128_dout128_v1_3.zip application  and link it with a second core on which a MB64 runs.

what do you suggest?

best regards

martin

Hi Martin,

played around with mios_tables.inc

the tables in "mios_tables.inc" are not used by the MB64 application, instead the MIDI events have to be defined (on a normaly more comfortable way) in the midibox64.ini file (see mk_syx.zip package), or with Serge's editor

You could also change the MIDI event assignments on the LCD menu of course --- thats described in the tutorial http://www.ucapps.de/midibox64_tutorial.html

As I mentioned above I am looking for a straight forward mapping of midi note/velocity events to voltage like with the MIDIbox CV. How can I do this?

On a note event, MB64 only forwards the velocity value to the AOUT module. The reason for this "poor" support for note events is, that in practice you definitely want to have gate triggers and a note stack for improved live playing capabilities. Note stacks are only supported by MIDIbox CV. The AOUT/SHX8 handler of MB64 focuses mainly on CC parameters

I would rather opt for the modified ain64_din128_dout128_v1_3.zip application  and link it with a second core on which a MB64 runs.

what do you suggest?

use MIDIO128 for the second core, the configuration is easier (see mk_midio128_syx.zip)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Thorsten

Thanks for this Information, it was very helpfull. I was able to change the midi mappings for the pots. I assume that the mappings also apply for the 64 AOUT's. But I was not able to control them.

I setup the connection according to http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_shx8_interconnections.pdf and made successfull tests with MIDIBox CV this way, but when I run the MIDIBox64 Application the red LED's dont react.

I assume that the LED's light up when a MIDI signal is received that controls some output via AOUT even when the SHX8 is connected and DEFAULT_ENABLE_AMUX = 1.

I compiled the MIDIBox64 application with the setting DEFAULT_ENABLE_AMUX = 0 in order to test the AOUT, but no success.

The MIDI signals reach the core though and in this display-submenu:

cs17.gif

the signal value is displayed.

Where do I make a mistake?

best regards

martin

Hi Martin,

did you consider that the AOUT module has to be connected to different pins when the MB64 application is running? This could be the reason why nothing happens...

The gate LEDs of the AOUT module are not controlled by MB64

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Thorsten

did you consider that the AOUT module has to be connected to different pins when the MB64 application is running?

No, I didnt know.  :-[ 

Now I get it! Sorry, I couldn't make any sense out of this table at all. I always clicked on the link because I expected a diagram... :-\

Best Regards

Martin