7805: required input to mantain line regulation

SounDuke

Hi, I purchased a 7805CV, looks like this is stopping me from powering MB64 with only a display and a few buttons and pots (ca. 200 mA) with 4 AAs. It is obvious since datasheet says that 7,5 V are required to mantain line regulation. Is there a 7805 which requires at least 6 V? I can't add 2 more AAs due to lacking space on case, I suppose a regulator with low power consumption exist since people who powers their MB with 4 AAs are a lot on this forum, can you give me an hint? Thanks!

Hi,

normally voltage regulators are known that they need an input voltage thats about 1.5V for lm317 (up to 3V for 78xx types ) higher than the output voltage.  Maybe the low drop voltage regulator LM2940 is a solution, but there is some extra circuit necessary (there are a lot of examples around in the www) but notice also: 1V difference between input and output is needed,  too. Maybe it's enough to put a dull diode that can handle 200mA directly behind the battery or some z diodes... ... it would cause a drop of 0.6V (and then youre in the working limits for pic...)?

greetinx, jamram