Analog versus 4 bit encoder for Organ Voice balance control

robinfawell

I am experiencing problems with analog inputs to the Core module.  I am using theanalog inputs unmuxed. So far I have connected 4 channels out of 8 and already have one channel interfering with another.  I am using 10k linear faders.  There is no spurious midi until I move the faders. I have connected the 0V 5V and slider cables  to the core in star. All unused inputs are at ground. I have bus bars for the  5V and 0V close to the J5 inputs.  So far I have not connected any capacitors across the slider inputs  to 0V. For design reasons the connections vary between 10 cm and 1metre. The cable lengths may be too long.

There are essentially 7 balance controls for the various organ voices. These are for the Flutes Mixtures Reeds groups/divisions for the swell and for the great keyboards (6) and one for the pedal sounds (1).

There is also an overall volume (shoe?) control and a tremelo rate pot.

I am seriously considering changing the design as follows.

Allocating one DinX4 module for the balance controls. This would provide 8 X 4 bit inputs via 8 rotary encoders. I do not need 128 increments and believe that 16 increments will be OK. ( I would not get 128 in any case because of the dead band)  Maybe 2bit encoders would be OK?

I could  use my two cores modules with only one analog input each for the volume and tremelo rate.  I think that I will need more than 16 increments for the volume and tremelo rate.  I am hoping that with a single channel there will be no midi interference.

I would welcome any comments on whether

a) I should persist with the 8 analog inputs.  Am I being prematurely pessimistic?

b) 16 increments is sufficient for the balance encoders.  I know that some electronic organs do not have these "balance" controls. Or will 4 increments suffice?

c) 4 bit encoders are practical

d) That the midio 128 software will be adaptable.  (So far I have only seen reference to 2 bit encoders)

Best Regards

Robin Fawell

Since sending my previous message I have found the thread http://69.56.171.55/~midibox/forum/index.php?topic=4446.0. This is very relevant to my problems.

I will continue using the analog inputs to the core.

I will try to see if a "triple three" screen works twisting the signal, 5V and 0V cables using J2 and capacitors as suggested by Thorsten.

If it works or not I will report back.

Regards Robin