Way to use USB module instead of MIDI?

Metrophage

I am kind of confused about the USB module. At first I thought it was supposed to be for installing in other MIDIboxes, like so your controller or SEQ would send MIDI type signals along USB directly. On closer inspection though it looks more like a stand alone MIDI interface. Since I am seriously considering building a SEQ, the idea of it sending USB to my computer appeals to me, but it sounds silly to connect them separately like SEQ>MIDI>USB. Doesn't making the signal (old style) serial first increase the latency? I would imagine that sending the MIDI data over USB directly (SEQ>USB) would be faster, but I don't know for certain.

Any ideas about this? Since I am in the planning stage, I'd like to nkow what others think.

Thanks!

M

hi ,

not sure about better perf ,but you can add the USB module to your seq through the J11 port of your core ,this port (look at the core schématic) is directly after  the rx and tx output of the pic ,and the signal will go directly to the rx and tx input of the AN2131SC of the USB module (then will be outputed to the USB port) .

At this time ,there is no USB project using a PIC with an integrated USB interface.

At this time ,there is no USB project using a PIC with an integrated USB interface.

yes, there are several reasons - all PICs with integrated USB have bugs which affect the compatibility with existing MIOS projects.

In addition, the USB PICs cannot be used as USB->MIDI bridge due to a silicon bug in the EUSART which I found during the firmware development for the PIC18F4550:

-> http://forum.microchip.com/tm.asp?m=85120

therefore I've given up to use this chip - it's a waste of time

Best Regards, Thorsten.