BIG panel material: which one?

SounDuke

Hi everyone, I finished the control unit of my MB 64, now I'm busy working at the pedalboard: Height 48cm and width 64cm.

I'll have to drill 48x 28mm holes for pushbuttons and 12x 5mm holes for the remaining pushbuttons. Now I'm stuck in its realization, being this a pedalboard I need some material neither heavy nor flexible (a leg+gravity is stronger than an arm :D). I'll apply sustain wooden structures at the extreme sides of the board as I can't obviously hook them in the middle of the board due to the space occupied by the rear side of the pushbuttons.Since previously I did panels in polycarbonate, I'm not very familiar with stronger materials.. I was thinking of a thick anodized aluminium sheet or is there a better material which is convenient in price/weight/strength? thanks in advance

Ganbatte!

your going to have problems trying to find/get a piece of aluminum that large anodized.

what size are you looking at the piece being? you can get alumium plate pretty cheap if you buy it scrap, around here in the US its $1 a pound. and a pound of alum plate is a pretty good size.

about the holes. my LC im making is going to have alot of square, fader slots, ect (nightmare to do by hand) so im getting a local Waterjet shop to cut mine. waterjet is very inexpensive as far as i know, very fast, tight tolerences and can do 1/2" alum plate no problem.

for those holes getting cut around here in say 1/8" plate i would suspect it to be around 50$, just depends on how much you think your personal time is worth.

goodluck.

taylor

i agree, it is very flexible. but it also has some workable properties. since its so light and inexpensive compared to steel, stainless, ect. you can go with a much thicker piece that wont be so flexible. yet still maintain the ability to drill it and not be to heavy.

how big were you thinking your midibox was going to be? you could always go with a thinner piece and then put support post or cross beams to help brace it overall.