MB SID and FM noob questions

Modularman

Hi,

I've just learnt about the Midibox stuff  - I know, I must have been living in a cave for the last four or five years ;-)

I'd like to build both the Midibox Sid and Midibox FM synths and have a  have a couple of questions....

On the MB_FM it seems to be 6 voice polyphonic, with 4 operators per voice, is this true? If so, are the outputs from each voice available separately? I'm asking because I love the sound of this unit with the external 4 pole moog filter, this would allow six external moog filters to be attached to make it a 6 voice poly digital synth with analog VCF's - does the software permit this and can separate filter control cv's be sent for each voice?  If this is possible I can build a custom 6 VCF pcb and release Eagle files or foil overlays for other builders........

I was thinking of building the Midibox SID with the four SID chip option, if I build it with two of 6581 and two 8580 chips, can the patches for each synth be stored and accessed from separate banksticks  so that I don't play 6581 sounds on 8580 synths?

Can the MB SID be used as a four voice poly synth (to play chords), or is it simply four separate monosynths? I realise I'd need four of the same type of SID chip for this to sound right if it's possible.

Thanks,

Modularman

Hi,

On the MB_FM it seems to be 6 voice polyphonic, with 4 operators per voice, is this true?

yes

If so, are the outputs from each voice available separately?

with 2 OPL chips you have the choice of 4 audio outputs

I'm asking because I love the sound of this unit with the external 4 pole moog filter, this would allow six external moog filters to be attached to make it a 6 voice poly digital synth with analog VCF's - does the software permit this and can separate filter control cv's be sent for each voice?  If this is possible I can build a custom 6 VCF pcb and release Eagle files or foil overlays for other builders........

The number of external filters is limited by the number of audio outputs, the CVs for the filters can be mapped to any voice

I was thinking of building the Midibox SID with the four SID chip option, if I build it with two of 6581 and two 8580 chips, can the patches for each synth be stored and accessed from separate banksticks  so that I don't play 6581 sounds on 8580 synths?

no, this has to be managed by yourself - in real life this is no limitation, up to 8 BankSticks can be connected -> makes 1024 patches.

Can the MB SID be used as a four voice poly synth (to play chords), or is it simply four separate monosynths? I realise I'd need four of the same type of SID chip for this to sound right if it's possible.

It's possible to play chords in poly mode, but in this case all 3 oscillators are routed through a single filter.

The "super poly mode" which allows you to play 4 SIDs over a single MIDI channel in polyphony is still a planned feature, but with some sequencer tricks it's already possible - see http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq_tutorial1.html

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Many thanks for all the info TK, very helpful. I'm going to order all of my parts for both boxes today.

The "super poly mode" on the SID sounds like a very cool feature, yummy :)

Any plans for fitting two (or even four!) OLP3 boards into a single unit? This could give 12 (or 24) note poly through 8 separate outputs (16 wouldnt be necessary), and could have 8 analogue fiters added too. Just a thought...........

Cheers

Allan

• 1 month later...

While sequencer tricks can mimic "super poly", I'd very much like it implemented because it'll be very nice for live performances.

BTW, Modularman, have you completed that six-way VCF design yet?  Is it a real ladder filter?