Penny & Giles Controls

cheater

Hey, has anyone checked them out?

They have some interesting stuff there...

the pg crossfaders (pgfx3000) are the standard in heavy-duty dj applications, they just don't wear down :D

they also have motorised faders, compact motofaders, they have great pots, endless belt digital controllers (cheap + quiet motofader replacement?) and last but not least motorised JOYSTICKS! definitely worth checking 'em out :)

http://www.pennyandgiles.com/products/products.asp?strAreaNo=402_6

A nice comparison of ALPS and P&G faders (only in german - has nice pictures, though):

http://webbeatz.de/Specials/PennyandGiles/main.php

Hi Cheater,

yes, P&G is well known for this. I'm currently developing a dedicated Fader Control Unit and have a test sample of two ALPS faders (standard DC as well as coreless DC) and one P&G (PGFM3200) with me. Quality of all seems very comparable, but the P&G 3200 is double the price of the ALPS V coreless version. So the time will show which solution is the better one.

Cheers,

Skunk

Hi Cheater,

the P&G sample was shipped directly from P&G UK (free of charge) since the german subsidary ignored all my requests, so I complained directly at the headquarter -- and got suddenly support. The ALPS samples are grepped directly at the german distributor ALBS which is located close to me. I'll work together with these guys for some future projects. Right now both manufacturers show the same high quality level. I'm just on the way to develop new  motor fader controller, so the final results will show which is better.

Cheers,

Skunk

• 5 months later...

Hey, why would you want to use P&G dj-style faders for your console?

Seems like the wrong way to do things ;)

You can automate your console using the motorfader module of the midibox.

Note that those motorfaders are midi faders only!

You will have to use the CV out module to make them work for your audio console!

Hey, why would you want to use P&G dj-style faders for your console?

Seems like the wrong way to do things ;)

... it seems more, that he want's to automate a pro audio console, not a dj-mixer .

You can automate your console using the motorfader module of the midibox.

Note that those motorfaders are midi faders only!

You will have to use the CV out module to make them work for your audio console!

... what about the CV out? If "redback-mike" want's to automate an audio mixer, he needs a fader with 10k lin and an appropriate log track. The 10k track works together with MIDIBox (for positioning) and through the log track he routes the audio signal of his console.

Greets, Roger

That sounds like the right idea. Can you point me in the right direction for finding the right motor faders?

10k linear fader with 10k log track - do they exist?

what kind of software would be good for this.

Didnt someone develop there own platform for controlling lighting systems through midi - I dont think this is that different from that idea.

... what about the CV out? If "redback-mike" want's to automate an audio mixer, he needs a fader with 10k lin and an appropriate log track. The 10k track works together with MIDIBox (for positioning) and through the log track he routes the audio signal of his console.

Greets, Roger

Hey,

I thought he might have actually wanted to make it the other way - modify the VCAs to support CV in, and then use that to feed the VCAs the correct automation.

Your way of doing stuff seems much easier, of course. :)

cheers,

D.

I read up on Neve Flying faders and the brochure boasts the fader positions are broken up into 4000 plus intervals

Thats going to take some beating with a DIY project

But one thing I have learnt about Pro Audio and music equipment is that the companies charge high prices and try to blind you with science - but the reality is often far more simple

This is probably not a thread that many people want to pursue though