MidiboxSID: joysitck and lamp

leelinn

Hello

is it possible to put into my midiboxSID (step B) a joystick instead of pot? What kind of joy can i use (1 o 2 pots)?What kind of connection do i have to make?

Another question: i want to use led on/off in a different way. I think to put my midiboxSID into a plexyglass box and to use a small coloured lamp (insted of small led) in order to illuminate the synth from the inside. What kind of lamp can i use? The question is to know if i can use the same connection of led and if the C&$ psu is able to feed energy to 2SID+ lamp.

tnx

P.S. Just another thing: i read in a post something about the possibility to have "direct save buttons": is it possible? any link about this?

Yes, you can use an analog Joystick. I took one from a USB-gamepad.

It basically consists of two pots, so you can coonect them to the ain module or directly to J5 on core.

But you'll need to do some Changes in the MBSD app. The Code is here on the Forum somewhere…

lamp: why don't you want to use a LED? It consumes much less power and lasts longer than a lamp.

But you can use a lamp, it just depends on if your power-supply gives enough current (Ampere)…

:) Fabian

Yes, you can use an analog Joystick. I took one from a USB-gamepad.

It basically consists of two pots, so you can coonect them to the ain module or directly to J5 on core.

But you'll need to do some Changes in the MBSD app. The Code is here on the Forum somewhere…

lamp: why don't you want to use a LED? It consumes much less power and lasts longer than a lamp.

But you can use a lamp, it just depends on if your power-supply gives enough current (Ampere)…

:) Fabian

the idea is that one to use one small lamp (it should  be more luminous than a simple one led) in order to illuminate the box from the inside.  You say that the light emitted from the led can be enough?

About joy: i'll try to find more info. tnx

the idea is that one to use one small lamp (it should  be more luminous than a simple one led) in order to illuminate the box from the inside.  You say that the light emitted from the led can be enough?

About joy: i'll try to find more info. tnx

Yes, I'd prefer  LEDs anyway. There's very bright ones, like Marcel said, and another point is that they are much more effective, means they don't produce as much heat as a lamp, which can be crucial...

And you said you want a colored lamp, these are even less effective than white lamps, so you could use a couple of LEDs and it'll consume less power than one lamp and won't heat up your box.

To the Joystick:

You can use any dual or single pot joystick, best is if the pots are 10k, but more seems to work fine with my MBSD (I have 50 k pots). I think it's not so delicate because they're connected as a voltage divider.

Connect the left pin of the pot to the ground pin on J5 (Core), the right one to the +5 pin of J5 and the middle to the analog input you want (on j5, too).

:)

Yes, I'd prefer  LEDs anyway. There's very bright ones, like Marcel said, and another point is that they are much more effective, means they don't produce as much heat as a lamp, which can be crucial...

And you said you want a colored lamp, these are even less effective than white lamps, so you could use a couple of LEDs and it'll consume less power than one lamp and won't heat up your box.

To the Joystick:

You can use any dual or single pot joystick, best is if the pots are 10k, but more seems to work fine with my MBSD (I have 50 k pots). I think it's not so delicate because they're connected as a voltage divider.

Connect the left pin of the pot to the ground pin on J5 (Core), the right one to the +5 pin of J5 and the middle to the analog input you want (on j5, too).

tnx for reply:) Do i eliminate rotary encoder  if i chose to use joystick? in this case i'll make mod to my mbsd but i did find anything about in the forum: p-cord, can u give me the link?

tnx for reply:) Do i eliminate rotary encoder  if i chose to use joystick? …

Well, not really. You can use the joystick as an additional controller for whatever parameter(s) you want, but you still need the Encoder for the Control-Surface (if you have one).

I'm not a programmer(!!!) so it's better if you get info about the stuff yourself, but I 'll tell you what I did (it should be reproducable though, with no guarantee):

This is for using two pots on the J5 of the core-module with MBSID v1.7.

take the main.asm file in the MBSID 1.7 source directory and add the following code

;; initialize ain
     movlw      2                  ; use 2 pots
     call      MIOS_AIN_NumberSet
     call      MIOS_AIN_UnMuxed      ; don't service multiplexer interface
     movlw      7
     call      MIOS_AIN_DeadbandSet
to initialize the unmultiplexed AIN on J5. It' s actually alomost there because the 6th LFO uses the AIN, so search for "#define ENABLE_AIN_LFO_WAVEFORM 1" and set it to 0, else you'll initialize the AIN twice. Then search for "USER_AIN_NotifyChange" at the end of the file and insert the code to send the pot-values to CCs whenever the pot-values change. Like that:
 USER_AIN_NotifyChange

;; get 7-bit value of pot #00
     movlw      0x00
     call      MIOS_AIN_Pin7bitGet

;; forward value to the CC handler

;; it expects: CC parameter number in WREG

;; CC parameter value in MIOS_PARAMETER1, so:

movwf      MIOS_PARAMETER1      ; save 7-bit value in MIOS_PARAMETER1

movlw      0x14            ; control CC #14h == Osc 1/2/3 Finetune
     call      SID_CCIN_Set      ; call function

;; get 7-bit value of pot #01

movlw      0x01

call      MIOS_AIN_Pin7bitGet

;; forward value to the CC handler

;; it expects: CC parameter number in WREG

;; CC parameter value in MIOS_PARAMETER2, so:

movwf      MIOS_PARAMETER2      ; save 7-bit value in MIOS_PARAMETER2

movlw      0x2E            ; control CC #2Eh == Cutoff

call      SID_CCIN_Set      ; call function

return                  ; and exit AIN handle

You can use other CCs here, whatever parameter you like. The list comes with the source code.

Then compile it, convert it to sysex, upload it and you're done.

:) :) :)  p-cord.

P.S. I know that my code mods aren't the smoothest way to do that by far, but it worked for me and I can't do it any better …;)

that joystick seems perfect!

Good price too…

i forgot to ask u if joystick with

two 150Kpots and joystick with two 50K pots are the same for my need.

However...yes!...good price...unfortunately i'm Italian...and store is in USA;))))

hi,

i think 150k is to much; 50k works for me, but the specification of the core-module says 10k, so it's up to you to try it out.

the shipping costs to Italy probably doesn't make it worthwhile, so if you get the 50k pot in Italy, I'd try that.

hi,

i think 150k is to much; 50k works for me, but the specification of the core-module says 10k, so it's up to you to try it out.

the shipping costs to Italy probably doesn't make it worthwhile, so if you get the 50k pot in Italy, I'd try that.

just another little favour...:)

what kind of switch on/off  do i buy for my  psu board? I know that i need a double switch on/off...maybe...called SPDT. Can u check this web page for me?

http://www.alltronics.com/switches.htm

tnx a lot

just another little favour...:)

what kind of switch on/off  do i buy for my  psu board? I know that i need a double switch on/off...maybe...called SPDT. Can u check this web page for me?

http://www.alltronics.com/switches.htm

tnx a lot

You seem to be the guy who doublechecks everything in advance… :D

No, it's really totally ok to ask.

if you want to switch two voltages, you'll need a DPDT (Double Pole, Double Throw).

In theory, a DPST would do, since you just switch two positions -> on/off.

But that may be harder to get than a DPDT, so I'll recommend using that…

BTW, i can't check that page cause my browser always hangs up on it…

:) p-cord.

hi,

i would order

this one; Russenberger Rocker Switch

or this one; "EUROPEAN STYLE" ROCKER SWITCH

bout the joysticks BTW, they have 2x10k aswell (look @ potentiometers)

cheers, marcel

tnx for reply marcel

but yr switches are DPST and not DPDT....will they work?