FM sound on AWE32\64

Dr.Wily

I would ask if FM chip on "newer" AWE32 and 64 are an emulation or real hardware ? (for example CT2230, CT2760 and CT4250)

On this card the YMF232 is not present on PCB.

Another question :

Why the FM sound is different between DOS and Windows ? FM sound produced by the card under DOS\Windows 3.1 is better than other OS (with the same card). FM patch on tese OS are very cheap.

Thank

I would ask if FM chip on "newer" AWE32 and 64 are an emulation or real hardware ? (for example CT2230, CT2760 and CT4250)

On this card the YMF232 is not present on PCB.

You mean YMF262?

No, all AWE cards (even the oldest ones) have a EMU chip on it. No more OPL.

Why the FM sound is different between DOS and Windows ? I like FM sound who produce the card under DOS\Windows 3.1. But FM sound on other OS (with the same card) are very cheap.

Original OPL cards sound the same with all OS.

But you are speaking of an AWE card. With my Creative AWE32 cards it depends on the driver. Even Win95 and W2K sound different (in my opinion).

Yes I mean YMF262. But EMU chip is for wavetable synthetis with soundfont, not for FM. And these soundcard have a FM function with FM sound without FM soundfont (I checked the driver no fonts in Sb16 basic driver). If there is not YMF262 on these souncard how the FM sound is produce without soundfont ?

Original OPL cards sound the same with all OS.

With my original SB16, FM sound is different. The GM sound set, sound like "electro" under DOS\Win31 but with other version of Windows the GM FM set the drum is very cheap. Why ?

With my original SB16, FM sound is different. The GM sound set, sound like "electro" under DOS\Win31 but with other version of Windows the GM FM set the drum is very cheap. Why ?

because the FM percussions of the OPL3 are very flexible, see also this picture:

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_fm/mbfm_drum_panel_pre1.gif

If Windows only provides a single patch with some unoptimized settings, then you won't have much fun.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Yes I mean YMF262. But EMU chip is for wavetable synthetis with soundfont, not for FM. And these soundcard have a FM function with FM sound without FM soundfont (I checked the driver no fonts in Sb16 basic driver). If there is not YMF262 on these souncard how the FM sound is produce without soundfont ?

Licenced yamaha technology in the CT chip? I don't know exacty, but some Crystal soundcard chips had a OPL-3 clone inside...

Thorsten gave the answer.

The newer the windows version, the cheaper the sound...

When Win95/NT came out OPL was already "overtaken" by wavetable soundcards(I bought my AWE32 in 1994, WIN95 came out in '96).

Wavetable and the first onboard effects were in.

So the driver programmers just kept some OPL sounds for compatibility and didn't invest too much work in the "old" OPL sounds  :(

• 2 months later...