MIOS Manual

Hi again!

I've been playing around with the "main" files in a bunch of the example apps and though I'm having a great time with it, learning the ins and outs of a custom LCD,pot,button,LED configuration isn't all that straightforward for someone without much programming background. The skeleton apps are a bit "raw" for me, but the standard MB64 apps have too many settings which I need to locate, delete or change for my application. I've also been focused more or less on the "main" file and need to get a better grasp on what settings are kept where and how the different source files are interacting with one another.   

I know Iain (XORNOT) has been rounding up tutorial info and it's greatly appreciated. I'm wondering if there would ever be a chance of a standalone (offline) version of such documentation, in a single file or so? Maybe a PDF or text file, with little or no pictures, which would describe not only the list of functions on the "mios_fun" page, but take you step by step through the creation and compilation of a basic control setup and maybe even into more complex arrangements with motorfaders, etc. The formatting and layout of parameters across a user's specific LCD to align with a custom control layout is probably a text unto itself. The hardware connections are all pretty well documented here and in the schematics, but MIOS is such an interesting and powerful beast, it seems well deserving of a good book.

I wish I had the knowhow to contribute to such a project, but I would gladly help with pointing out the parts which were easy to understand or confusing for someone like myself.

-Thanks!

George

I cannot spend the effort to write such a documentation, but I'm always open for distributions from other users.

Today it's possibly better to write a user manual for the C wrapper, since it's easier to use, code snippets can be easier exchanged (e.g. in seperate .c files), and people are able to realize more complex applications without much knowledge about the internals (especially about assembly language)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I cannot spend the effort to write such a documentation, but I'm always open for distributions from other users.

I would really hope that you didn't ;) I think it's good that some of us who have benefited from your projects and time can help each other when possible.

I personally am closer to PIC assembler than I am to C at this point, but am just barely able to scratch the surface of either. I do realize there are more people coming from the more common languages. It's also not looking like you might need such a thorough understanding of either, simply to work with and configure MIOS applications. I know that ideally there should be people adding to the code and finding other uses for it, but I'm finding plenty to learn just in compiling a custom configuration for my box. At this point, I'm almost ready to dump in all the other default parts for one of the example projects, instead of trying to setup this "weirdo" proto-board with a few parts and a 2x40. A really basic tutorial would even suffice, focusing mainly on adding the necessary parameters to a skeleton app and linking all the needed include and header files. I'm going to read through most of them tonight, but I've been making all my changes in the "main" file and I'm not getting a functioning app. I'm wondering how many of the others need to be modified, if any. Also, the LCD thing is a bit of a mess for me. I think I found the offset list for the 2x40 in the MB Seq source, but I still don't see it work properly.

The MBHP modules and the burning and loading of the bootloader and MIOS were all very well documented, as well as the troubleshooting procedures (which came in handy). I still think the organization of all the bundled files and what they're doing could use a bit of a newbie's intro on a page or two (-please not you TK)

I guess the obvious solution is to get off my tail and sink a bit further into learning PIC code, or C as you suggest, but I think learning some of it through this particular application would make it a lot easier :-*

-Take Care

George

PS- No complaints. With or without a manual, this is a great place!   

Heya Jidis!

I wish I had the knowhow to contribute to such a project, but I would gladly help with pointing out the parts which were easy to understand or confusing for someone like myself.

You have a unique position on this, since you are going through the process now you can see where more documentation would help.....

I'm going to read through most of them tonight, but I've been making all my changes in the "main" file and I'm not getting a functioning app. I'm wondering how many of the others need to be modified, if any. Also, the LCD thing is a bit of a mess for me. I think I found the offset list for the 2x40 in the MB Seq source, but I still don't see it work properly.

Even if what you are doing does not work, take notes about the process.  They don't have to be ready to publish, or anything like that, but we can form these notes into a fresh doc that might cover 50% of new builders questions, and through additions from other builders here we should be able to come up with a solid guide.  Plus the notes will make it easy for others to help you through sticking points........  : )

The MBHP modules and the burning and loading of the bootloader and MIOS were all very well documented, as well as the troubleshooting procedures (which came in handy). I still think the organization of all the bundled files and what they're doing could use a bit of a newbie's intro on a page or two (-please not you TK)
Agreed, a lot of the questions in my mailbox are along the lines of "what modules do I need to build app X?" so some new docs that focus more on building (and modding) specific apps would be a great addition......I'll help if you are game for a little note-taking and writing.....  ;)

PS- No complaints. With or without a manual, this is a great place!
Amen on that!  This community always amazes me, reminds me of the BBS days more than the spamfest that is today's internet.

Best!

Smash

Smash,

Great! I'd love to help however I can. I've already run into a few carelessly overlooked termination mistakes I made and there are some parts of the example apps I found a little confusing. I'll start keeping notes tonight, but if I read you right, I'd be more fit to passing off the notes to someone with a thorough understanding.

I just put a question about MPASM in the "Assembler" forum, so it may be a bit of a stumbling block in getting to where I can really start tweaking. (my hex compiles seem to be quirky :( )

-George